What's new

Horrible Audio on The Exorcist 25th Annv. VS The Version Never Seen? (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
I usually, watch the New version of the Exorcist because the great 5.1 EX audio, I wanted to watch the original 25th Anniversery lastnight, What horrible 5.1 mix on that DVD, I will never go back and watch the version again, Iam sticking with the new version because of the great 5.1 mix

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
To each their own. I'm sticking with the original cut, which is a better film.

M.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
How did the video compare? I've been wanting to compare the two. I only have TVYNS.

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
The Video was I think about the same, but the audio was horrible compared to the new version, Iam sticking to the new version because of the Audio:)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well Scott, I tend to agree, i'm a sucker for a great 5.1 mix, like the new one on the 'Superman' dvd, and yes the new 'Exorcist' version.
However, I also own the 25th anniversary edition, and have watched it many times before the new one was released, and for what it is, it's not too bad. Their is virtually no separation at all, and the LFE is pretty much non-exsistant, but for the films age, it's o.k.
But I do like the new version better as well, and the 5.1 on that one is amazing. It really ups the tension in a lot of scenes, like when father Karras was being led up to Reagan's room for the first time, you can hear Reagan wheezing from one of the rear speakers and the effect is very eerie! In fact, the first time I heard that, I was tempted to turn around and look behind me, it sounded like she was right behind me!:eek:. Plus, I love what they've done with the image quality, the movie has never looked so good.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
you can hear Reagan wheezing from one of the rear speakers and the effect is very eerie!
Was that before or after Reagan was shot? ;)
Seriously, the best 5.1 audio thus far for this movie is sadly on the Full Frame side of the original bare-bones disc. They used a dumbassedly weak Dolby Surround on the widescreen side. But the sound on the P&S side is chilling without the hokiness of the version you've never seen sound. Those with 16:9 TVs can blow up the open-matte transfer, but it looks like we may never get a definitive presentation of this movie, despite its many releases.

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
The 5.1 mix on the 25th anniversary edition was probably taken from the 6 track master for the soundtrack on the 70mm prints made in the late 70's for the movie. I saw a 70mm print of the movie at Radio City Hall a few years ago when they had a WB film fest, and I remember how dissapointing the 6 track sound was, it sounded like a bad 2 channel soundtrack at times. The reason the 25th sounds bad is because thats how the track was mixed. The mix on the 2000 rerelease was a complete remix.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'm of two minds about this remix.
One, technically it's *much* better than the original mix. Sharp highs, and deep powerful low frequencies.
Two, sound effects sound out of place and music cues sound different - like they've been mixed higher or lower than before. Perhaps it's because I know The Exorcist inside out. An example of replaced sound effects, when Regan levitates, the room shakes around wildly. On the 25th Ann version, it sounds like someone drove a truck into the house, while on the new remix it sounds like a sub tickling "wham!". There were others, but this was the one which made me really think "What are they DOING!?!"
I'm of similar minds as to The Terminator's 5.1 surround remix. Again, technically sweet, yet different in character to the mono.
I never got to listen to the original Superman mix, but when the only other alternative is MAR-ed on television, I'll stick with my DVD.(I remember people foaming at the mouth about it though. So it must be significantly different.)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
While the new remix for the version you've never seen has a large "wow" factor compared to previous releases, I still think that the previous releases are aesthetically better. The film was shot to make it look very realistic - almost like a faux documentary. This served to keep it grounded as events grew more fantastical as the film progressed. The flashier soundtrack actually works against this, IMHO, and makes it seem like a more conventional horror film. For some reason, it is easier to dismiss as "only a movie".

On the other hand, I actually liked the new Superman remix a lot (though not all of the re-instated scenes), so what do I know, anyway?

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks