Horn sound out of paradigm

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Feb 12, 2002.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Hello,

I think I have recognized a problem I am having with my paradigm mini monitors.

At first I reported a treble metallic sound on some music, now I want to hear what people have to say about this.

On horns, the right speaker is too emphasized. It sounds very trebley and piercing to the ear. I switched "speakers" so the left speaker became my right speaker, and on the same parts of music the speaker doesn't exhibit the treble metallic sound or the extremely sharp horn/trumpet.

What is the problem, I will have to ask my local dealer for an exchange (hopefully he takes it), but I just wonder what's happening (is it something in the tweeter?).

Thanks,

ELmO

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

3. elMalloc

On a note, I took off the grill and the sound definitely comes from the tweeter, but it doesn't from the other speaker.

-ELmO

4. elMalloc

Why doesn't my left speaker have this same sound on the same parts of songs? I plugged in my left speaker to be my 'right' speaker and it sounds fine.

Thanks,

ELmO

5. Mark Austin

Exchange it, and see if it helps. It could be something wrong with that particular tweeter.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think you already proved that it is a problem with only one speaker, so I'd agree - see if your dealer will exchange it. You may have overdriven the tweeter, OR it could just be bad (could even be the crossover failing).

I noticed a slight ringing also with my Titans (bedroom) at *very* elevated listening levels, but I didn't check to see if it was just one of them. My Minis in the main system do not do this.

As for Paradigms being bright, I don't disagree with that, but this also has to do with the particular receiver/amp they are paired with.

7. elMalloc

I don't think I could have pushed them too far, my receiver is 40W x 5, 50w X 2, and I have them calibrated with ratshack SPL...in a small room. I have gotten them loud, but nothing loud enough where I couldn't hear my own voice.
    The thing is..I just plugged in my old philips speakers and I couldn't get that same metallic sound out of any of them (probably not very good speakers) - but the real thing is I think I've discovered I'm not as much an audiophile as I thought/really wanted to be. I'm in college right now, after I graduate and get a real job maybe I'll join the hifi ranks - but for now I can't hear a $600 difference ($300 center/$300 mini monitors) but I do hear a difference. Music is 3-4 steps lower in quality on these philips speakers to me, but I really only watch movies and they are adequate for that.
    So I may be selling these paradigm monitors, now I'll have to list that the right one is metallic treble so it may go much lower than what it should go for. I doubt my local dealer will take them back "all sales final". So if anyone is interested in either of the mini monitors or a cc-370 do tell me, we can arrange a decent price - just got them 2 weeks ago and have played about 30-40 hours on them.
    -ELmO

8. Mark Austin

They are warranteed. If there is indeed something wrong with the tweeter based on what you have stated, so he should be more than willing to exchange them. When you go in tell him the tweeter in one speaker is not functioning properly, and you want to exchange them for another pair.

9. elMalloc

Hah, I plugged in my philips center speaker, it's dwarfed by the paradigm's...I see how terribly crappy it is now, the voices are so directional and boxy...ah, I'll meet paradigm again someday, probably in a few years.

-ELmO

10. Mark Austin

John,

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

12. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I feel to get proper mating takes quite a bit of time.
    Here is what I do.
    1. Talk to the speaker, communication is the key.
    2. Lower the lights
    3. Put on one of those "sexy doin' it" compliations
    4. Drink a bit of wine.
    5. Give those "sexy" looks
    6. Drink more wine
    At this point, mating should already be in progress or be happening! It may sound good, may be warm, may be bright if it isn't just perfect for you you should replace said partner and try again.
    [​IMG]