Horizontal moving line on Sony Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stas, Jan 10, 2003.

1. stas

stas Extra

I noticed recently that when playing DVDs via component input on my Sony Wega 36FS12 there is a very faint horizontal line consitently moving right to left every few seconds and is very evident in very light or very dark scenes. I do not see this on my sat input. What should I check?

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It's an internal ground loop that requires a circuit modification to correct. You might temporarily remove the symptoms by unplugging the S-video cable from the video-1 input while watching the component input. I haven't heard of any extended warranty coverage for this but you could try and convince consumer relations to help out if your set is out of warranty.

3. stas

stas Extra

So was this a defect in all 36FS12's or are were you just familiar with the symptoms?

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

As well as some personal technical info , I believe I've seen several older discussion topics in this forum on this issue.

5. stas

stas Extra

First, I have to correct my question. The line is actually VERTICAL.

Here is some more detail about my set-up:

Sony DVP-s560 DVD player, connected via component cable to Video 4 input the TV. Digital RCA connected to Rotel receiver Video 2.

DirecTivo HDVR2 connected via S-Video and TosLink to the Rotel Receiver Video 4.

Rotel S-video monitor out connected to Video-1 input on TV.

I noticed that if I tried cycling through various video inputs on the receiver while wathing a DVD, the line would change direction on one of the inputs.

Also, and this is a temporary work-around for me, if I connect the DVD player S-video out to the reciver's Video 2 input, so that the DVD player is actually sending both an S-video and Component signal to the TV at the same time, the line goes away.

I called Sony and they denied that this TV has any sort of issue or bulletin. I find it hard to believe, as I have found several references on the internet about this.

Any other suggestions or possible fixes?