horizontal lines on TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Truan, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Truan

Truan Auditioning

I just bought a Sony 30" widescreen Wega TV, and when I got it home I noticed two horizontal lines, one toward the top and one toward the bottom, runnuning the entire width of the screen. They are extremely thin, and no picture comes through them.

I was in a showroom last night and noticed that all the other flat screens had them, too. But when I got home, I noticed another one on mine, near the center of the screen.

Not sure if they are scan lines or what, or if it's normal or I need to exchange the TV. I haven't called Sony yet. Does anyone know what these are?

Thanks.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

These are common on Sony Trinitron (and others) flat screen TV's and monitors. I have them on my Sony computer monitor at home. Rest assured they are normal.

3. Truan

Truan Auditioning

Thanks very much. Makes me feel a lot better. I was afraid they'd start multiplying like Gremlins.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

they're the trinitron lines. Trinitron sets don't use grille aperture shadow masks, they use vertical strings of sorts, and to stabalize them, a few horizontal strands are run as well. On small screen you may find one of these, on larger screens you may find a couple more.