What's new

Horizontal Lines of Resolution - Help! (1 Viewer)

NickSchmidt

Agent
Hey guys, I'm new.
I'm going to buy a new TV as soon as my tax check arrives. Now I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...443765-0370206
And:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...443765-0370206
I like the Toshiba design better, plus it has two s-video inputs and one component input. On the other hand, the Samsung apparently has 800 lines of resolution, meaning a better picture, plus it's cheaper and has better sound. The thing is, it only has one s-video and I'm not sure if it has component inputs. Which TV do you think would be better to purchase? Right now I'm leaning more towards the Toshiba.
Also, how many lines of resolution does the Toshiba have? And would the Samsung really look that much better?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome, Nick.

I prefer the Toshiba, due to the brand's super-accurate color decoders.

Both sets have component inputs.

As for lines of resolution, that's a largely meaningless specification as there is no truly standardized measurement process in place to count the lines. But the Tosh will serve you fine in that regard.

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
On horizontal resolution:

With these sets, you cannot show an HDTV signal, so the best that you can do is display the full resolution of DVD. DVDs have a maximum horizontal resolution of 540.

That number is somewhat confusing. Horizontal resolution is usually stated as the number of vertical lines, marching left to right, one can resolve if the set were square: with screen width equal to screen height. The sets you are looking at are not square, they are 4:3, so they are wider than they are tall. The actual number of lines DVD can display across the true width is 720: 540*4/3= 720.

It's hard to know with horizontal resolution claims whether they are claiming for the square screen or for the full width. So to show DVD to full horizontal resolution you need either 540 or 720 depending on how you count. Either way, my guess is that the Toshiba meets this standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks