horizontal lines across screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Don_Houle, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Mar 26, 2002
    I've been noticing something over the past six weeks or so on my JVC 32D302 tube TV.

I'll do my best to describe the issue:

Whenever a scene comes on with a lot of white color near the top of the screen (a landscape shot where the ground is dark and the sky is very light, for example), these white lines appear across the top of the screen - sometimes accompanied by a bit of audio crackling. The size of the interference (how far the lines actually come down the screen) seems to be related to how much white is in the scene. This only seems to be happening using the antenna input from my cable box - it does not occur when I watch a DVD using the component inputs.

Any ideas? I haven't done any testing (determine if it's just certain channels, try a different TV, remove the cable box from the mix, etc) as it's something that I just started to really be bothered by.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    The power supply of your TV may be pushed to its limits and also you may be overdriving the tube phosphors. The lighter the overall picture content, th emore power the TV needs.

Reduce the contrast on the TV and see if this improves things.

Video hints: