What's new

Horizons- The Ultimate MMORPG (1 Viewer)

SarahG

Second Unit
At least thats what I think it is going to be....

There is so much info on this game everywhere online....

A few people were talking about it a while back...but lots more, including a bunch of screen shots and some music has come out....

anyone following this???

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Seems like a fairly standard MMO thus far. Looks decent and could end up being enjoyable but consider me bored.

I apologize for sounding/appearing cynical here but I've heard the "player run economy" "robust crafting system" "unique player housing" and "innovative combat system" etc etc etc.... too many times before.

All of it is nothing but MMO buzz words that in the end don't mean a thing to me since a majority of the time these items end up half-implemented or outright broken from the very beginning or even worse just removed all together. What would impress me at this point is an MMO developer that before even rifling off what new "innovations" they plan to implement they take the time to take care of the little things like:

-Server Stability
-Working in-game systems are launch, not 3-6 months later.
-Preventative maintenance/testing including REAL server stress testing with an open beta available to the general public and prospective buyers.

Allow a large segment of the general public to test your title after the secrecy and internal testing of closed beta. NDA's are understandable and necessary of course but I don't see the harm in an open beta. Its the simplest and easiest way to stress test before launch and will no doubt avoid a myriad of launch floibles.

These things matter far more to me than any nonsense promises MMO devs have been pushing for years.

You know they are just those small items that allow the player to *gasp* PLAY!

I really don't mean to come into your thread Sarah and go off into a rant but I've been an MMO player for a good 2 years now and honestly the genre is becoming very very stale and I tire of the empty promises and "beta" product that we the player (and consumer ) community have to endure. Star Wars Galaxies is the perfect example. I'm actually having a very good time in the game (though again its a fairly standard MMO) but some of the issues that are still being worked through in the game are just inexcuseable.

Part of the problem is saturation. I'm simply astounded at the amount of MMO's coming within the next year or two. A majority of which will fail.

One day developers (and gamers for that matter) will realize that Everquest was a unique experience. It was for all that I don't like the game one of the very first of its kind. It was 3D, (which helped itovershadow Ultima Online to an extent) it was addictive and it had a particular play style that was at the time very unique. I think thats why you see a great many players just migrate from MMO to MMO trying to find the "next big thing"

Its ashame that five years later we're all still playing the same game, except with a nip and tuck here and there.
:frowning:

SarahG

Second Unit
No worries...you are sharing your thoughts...and thats what these boards are for, right?

And you do raise some interesting parts.

It's hard to believe, and it has been said before, but it needs rementioning. They can reconfigure the world without taking the servers down. They can change an island by raising a landmass in real time. I didn't get to experience this one, but its such a major point when you stop and think of actually seeing it in use! The GMs may use such things for special quests and the like.
And lastly, the whole theme of the game to kill the undead who have taken over Istaria- check out the undead...

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Sarah, Interesting thread, but for future reference link to these pictures dont post them in the thread, saves bandwidth :)

but back to the thread, i honestly have enver been much of a fan of MMORPG's because ive yet to see a game that matches balance and fun, unfortunately its the imbalances that are fun. and if there arent any big ones well i just cant compete with those people who play 60+ hours a week, sure i game, but i have a life.... at least i like to think so :frowning:

Dave-Lo

Auditioning
I on the other hand do not have a life :) and am quite impressed by the screen shots. I also like the option of being able to play as a dragon! I'm going to have to check this game out.

SarahG

Second Unit
but back to the thread, i honestly have enver been much of a fan of MMORPG's because ive yet to see a game that matches balance and fun, unfortunately its the imbalances that are fun. and if there arent any big ones well i just cant compete with those people who play 60+ hours a week, sure i game, but i have a life.... at least i like to think so
I def. don't play for 60+ hours a week- no time, but I can dabble and have my fun. One of the reasons that I am interested in this one is that I will get into the game with all as newbies and can have an advantage from the start!!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
You definitely don't have to play 60 hours a week to enjoy an MMORPG. I play less than 20 hours a week and enjoyed playing DAoC and AO. It does help to have a friend that plays the same amount of time as you though.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Horizons. It may not be the most original MMORPG but what I've seen and read so far sounds good to me. It definitely interests me much more than SWG.

SarahG

Second Unit
It does help to have a friend that plays the same amount of time as you though.
I totally agree...some of my friends and I are already planning on getting together and getting in the game at the same time...they don't have a lot of time either, so we figure that way we can forward our progress in the game much much more...

Dave-Lo

Auditioning
20 hours a week! Seriously you probably only need to play 5-10 hours a week to have a good time, though you'll probably want to play more! Even if you only play 5hrs/week thats 20/month and less than $1/hour for the subscription - cheaper than parking at a meter!

Brian E

Screenwriter
They mailed out my beta CD's yesterday.:emoji_thumbsup: Can't wait to get them & check this game out. Hope it's as good as it looks/sounds.

SarahG

Second Unit
Congrats Brian!!! I got mine about 2 weeks ago...have fun!!

BTW...if you are interested, there are some cool sound clips on the site for each of the nine races...I am wondering if that means that is the music that will play in each different race city..which will be another cool identifyer for each race aside from race specific architecture.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Well, what are you waiting for? Tell us what you think! :D I haven't been lucky enough to get into the beta. Probably a good thing since I haven't even had enough time to make it through KOTOR.

Dave-Lo

Auditioning
There is no way that the beta tester will be allowed to talk about the game for a while because of Nondisclosure agreements. However, there is lots of info on their site at isteria dot com. Looks pretty good.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm not looking for specific info. I know all about NDAs since I've been a beta tester for quite a bit of software. I'm just looking for a general "feeling". My friend was a beta tester for SWG and the one thing he kept telling me was that it was "boring". That's all I needed to hear.

Dave-Lo

Auditioning
Come on Sara G, is it 'boring' or 'exciting.' Actually I think that the fact she is in beta and hasn't been checking the message board is probably a good sign. A very good sign would be if she's been missing work and withdrawing from society alltogether. :) I haven't played a game that made me 'cough cough' so sick I had to stay home from work in a while.

SarahG

Second Unit
Hi there...I am back!! And of course Dave Lo is right...can't say much...but I am still here and happily talking away about the game when I have free time...so that should say something. I am also actively talking about the game (by that I mean all the public stuff out there from the site, etc) on some Horizons specific sites....should mean something too. When the NDA is lifted I will be sure to give a full report...

and one more thing...

here are some new screen shots from tothegame.com

New Horizons Screen Shots!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Nice to hear the "encouraging" word. :) I haven't been keeping up with the latest happenings but what's the expected release date now?

SarahG

Second Unit
You know..there is no firm release date as of yet...but they are in the beta 3...and then there is an open beta...so generally guessing from the time they are set...6 weeks till gold...I am sure they are on aim for their fall release.. regardless..i am thinking about going and pre-ordering it soon just so that i can get my copy as soon as it comes out.

SarahG

Second Unit
Brian E...you gotten your CD yet...

Also...you might want to be checking out IGN...the Horizons vault over there...it has loads and loads of information about the game that anyone who wants to play it should read!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks