What's new

Horizon zero dawn (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This game looks like its probably pretty great, but will be generally overlooked simply because its another open-world third-person action game and being released in February.

It's probably cool but there's something just so generic feeling about it for me. I don't know why, since it's a neat concept and all.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It looks awesome, but I'll pass on it for now simply because I still have to start Last of Us, The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc.

The flood of new games has to hurt the market at some point....

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ There's a local radio gaming show that has a "panel" of some pretty experienced and critical gamers, and even their most critical and outspoken member loved this game. I guess quite a few people from the press/etc. have had a chance to play this already, I think it was in 5-hour slots, so not completely superficial reviews (about all you have to go on if buying on release day).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Picked this up today, and have put a couple hours into it already -- I'm already like this:

holy-sht.gif

Right now I'm doing the quest where
Aloy tracks down the Scrapper that stole the father's spear, and I just rescued his daughter from being killed by the machines, right before the Proving.

The writing is really damn good. Incredibly beautiful world, and I think what I like about it most is one of the things The Witcher 3 did so well. There's this very real, very natural, and organic logic to the connections between the geography, the cultures, and the interactions between those cultures. It's all exceedingly well-thought-out. The world is wholly believable, and feels like it has formed naturally over a very, very long time. It doesn't feel like some writers just came up with random ideas and randomly plopped them into the world.

Didn't expect this plot to already sink its teeth into me. Also, the combat-flow is straight butter. Goddamn.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I f***ing hate digital downloads. Another 7 hours and 40 gigs out of my 250 GB cap for one game and zero discount on the price. If I didn't want to play this thing badly enough to see what all the hype is about, I would never have bought it as a DD.

The only other reason I went DD on this is due to the fact that even if you do buy the disc a person is still stuck downloading the whole bloody thing.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Amazon sells digital codes for a lot of games, so you can usually save some money going through them. Not sure if the 20% Prime discount applies to codes as it does to new discs.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm still neck deep in NiOh. Once I finish that in a few weeks, this is now next on my list.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right now, the game is looking and playing well. The only thing that bothers me is that it looks like it will be another of those where a person spends long periods grinding and collecting bric-a-brac to craft items and level up. That sort of thing tends to get old with me quickly.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You really don't have to grind it out if you don't want to.. you can ignore almost all the side missions, run from dangerous beasts, come up with unique strategies.. yes, you're going to have some big battles, but some of the strategies are great.. I'm finding the side missions though aren't just 'grind it out', they are pretty involving storylines, well acted.. I love walking into town and just listening in on the people; there are some great conversations that change town to town about everything. The world building here is fantastic

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You really don't have to grind it out if you don't want to.. you can ignore almost all the side missions, run from dangerous beasts, come up with unique strategies.. yes, you're going to have some big battles, but some of the strategies are great.. I'm finding the side missions though aren't just 'grind it out', they are pretty involving storylines, well acted.. I love walking into town and just listening in on the people; there are some great conversations that change town to town about everything. The world building here is fantastic

It's not as bad as I thought it would be: however, like most of these games the skill points take too long to accumulate, so a person sits for long periods debating on which way to spend them, since once they are spent there is no way to get them back if the decision turns out wrong. The same goes for modding outfits and weapons. I get paralyzed deciding how to use those mods because you can't recover them once they are used. I'm at level 14 and the only mod I've used is adding some damage by fire to a bow and arrow.

The game is very good, though it takes me a long time to play because I don't like frontal assaults and spend a lot of time hiding and waiting for a good moment for a stealth kill or override. I find whenever I take the direct route in combat, I get slaughtered. I've spent a lot of hours on it and I'm only about 16% done.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Loving it. Great world. Took only an hour to download from the PS store via wired connection. When I was wireless it took forever to download anything. Wire it if you can Edwin.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I finally put this on the PS4 Pro - switched last week; and jeebus; the 4K output for this game is incredible. The color and look is phenomenal. This game may completely justify the PS4 Pro for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks