Horatio Hornblower Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RobertW, Nov 26, 2005.

1. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

This series keeps being repackaged as new episodes have been released, first in two-packs, then in a complete four episode box, and then a six episode box.

now comes the Collector's Edition, with all eight episodes together in one box set, at a pretty attractive price. maybe too good. does anyone know if this new set contains all the extras and commentaries of the original discs, just in a more convenient packaging, or if this is just a bare-bones set, stripped of everything but the movies themselves? the price(less than $45 at Amazon) just seems too good to be true

2. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

ok, a little research seems to have answered my own question. :b

according to A&E's website, the only difference between this and the earlier releases are the slim case packaging, and a new interview with star Ioan Griffud. otherwise, the discs seem to be just the original releases in the new packaging.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned
    BANNED

Richard W
    I watched the first and second discs in The Collector's Edition box-set. These are fine films, and I enjoy them immensely, but they seem to me like unconverted PAL. The voices are slightly off pitch, sounding to high, and the motion is a hair to fast giving it an unnatural feel. This is 4% PAL speed-up. While I appreciate A&E making Horation Hornblower available, they are known for poor quality transfers and dumb mistakes. Issuing an 8-disc series in region 1 at the region 2 PAL speed is the dumbest of their mistakes.

4. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I watched them all with no issue. I just must not be as susceptible to this type of alteration as some. Now I did notice some issues with "Wanted Dead or Alive" which supposedly suffers from the same thing, but I didn't with HH.