What's new

Horatio Hornblower Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
This series keeps being repackaged as new episodes have been released, first in two-packs, then in a complete four episode box, and then a six episode box.

now comes the Collector's Edition, with all eight episodes together in one box set, at a pretty attractive price. maybe too good. does anyone know if this new set contains all the extras and commentaries of the original discs, just in a more convenient packaging, or if this is just a bare-bones set, stripped of everything but the movies themselves? the price(less than $45 at Amazon) just seems too good to be true

RobertW

Supporting Actor
ok, a little research seems to have answered my own question. :b

according to A&E's website, the only difference between this and the earlier releases are the slim case packaging, and a new interview with star Ioan Griffud. otherwise, the discs seem to be just the original releases in the new packaging.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I watched the first and second discs in The Collector's Edition box-set. These are fine films, and I enjoy them immensely, but they seem to me like unconverted PAL. The voices are slightly off pitch, sounding to high, and the motion is a hair to fast giving it an unnatural feel. This is 4% PAL speed-up. While I appreciate A&E making Horation Hornblower available, they are known for poor quality transfers and dumb mistakes. Issuing an 8-disc series in region 1 at the region 2 PAL speed is the dumbest of their mistakes.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

I watched them all with no issue. I just must not be as susceptible to this type of alteration as some. Now I did notice some issues with "Wanted Dead or Alive" which supposedly suffers from the same thing, but I didn't with HH.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks