Hoping to watch Super Bowl in HD. Will these antennas work?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrentJ, Feb 4, 2005.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I think the first is similar to the Zenith model. I am familiar with that one and it works very well. I'm not familiar with the second. My vote goes for the first one.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Check www.antennaweb.org to see what kind of signals you can get. The first antenna looks like the famous Zenith Silver Sensor.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Indoor Antennas don't fit in the antennaweb classification scheme. That's not to say that antennaweb is useless-- if nothing else, it gives you a nice bearing to the transmission tower. A (very) few stations transmit their DTV signals on the VHF bands, so if your fox affiliate is one of those, getting a fancy UHF-only antenna would be counterproductive.

Most indoor antennas contain only a few antenna elements-- but some of the more expensive antennas combine the barebones loop and rabbit ears with a strong (though noisy) amplifier. The Silver Sensor is unamplified, but it does have quite a few elements. Perhaps the "Garbage In, Garbage Out" dictum applies here.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you are in the yellow and green zones, try looking for the Double Bowtie Antenna that can be found at Radio Shack, it's what I use (along with a small 20dB antenna booster) for UHF ATSC (HDTV) reception.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Comparing the common antenna types. Note that "small indoor loops" fare particularly poorly. The common availability of cable and especially satellite limits the availability of the more exotic designs, though I was able to find a silver sensor at Sears. You may have to specially order the double bow.