What's new

Hoping to get some help here (1 Viewer)

Soccerkid830

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy
Hey everybody,

I'm a college student sorta set on a goal to make a semi-decent home audio system while I'm here. Last year I got a Sony DAV-HDX265 HTIB system and soon found out that these are not worthwhile to be honest, this is where hopefully I can pick up some quick tips.

I recently bought the Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver(seen here: http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC160&class=Receiver&p=i) for just under $300 shipped. However, I am still using the Sony receiver. I also managed the pick up a pair of older Technics SB-A27's that I currently am using as my front two speakers. Then I replaced the tiny surround speakers from the HTIB with the originally front speakers for the time being. The center channel on the receiver doesn't seem to function at all, so I'm at a 4.1 system with a passive 8"?? sub I believe. Not quite sure on that though.

So the questions I have...
I've been looking at a few different subwoofers, the Sony SA-W3000, and the Dayton Sub-120. They are each $100-150 or so, and seem to have similar reviews in that they tend to be a bit boomy, but they are cheap subs and I know this. So any reasons to choose/avoid either sub, or choosing a completely different sub, hopefully

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've been looking at a few different subwoofers, the Sony SA-W3000, and the Dayton Sub-120. They are each $100-150 or so, and seem to have similar reviews in that they tend to be a bit boomy, but they are cheap subs and I know this. So any reasons to choose/avoid either sub, or choosing a completely different sub, hopefully

Soccerkid830

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy
Originally Posted by gene c . Is the center not working with the Onkyo or the Sony receiver? And you are going to use the Onkyo anyway, correct?. In any event, a center channel is really needed in most cases so eventually get one the matches whatever you wind up using for fronts. Some members use a 4.1 system and think it's fine, You might feel the same, But it's never worked well for me.
The center channel on the Sony receiver will not power the speaker, or any speaker for that matter, through the center channel. I've played with all the settings and cannot get a single note to come outta it. But yes, after this semester of school, when I can finally go back home I'll be switching the receiver for my new Onkyo one, as that is where I had it shipped to for some reason...
EDIT: I forgot to mention I did plug the center channel speaker into my Onkyo receiver when I was down for Christmas break and the speaker did work with the Onkyo. I just wanted to say this so you don't think it could be the speaker itself.

Then the thing with Best Buy, there's not a single Best Buy within... about 300 miles of where I go to school so it'd be kind of hard to get to one haha. Doesn't help going to school where I do.

Thanks for the pointers though!

Any other suggestions will help also :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks