Hoping Someone Can Help Me....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JayKellen, Nov 28, 2003.

1. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

I'm relatively new to home theater, and I know this may seem like a stupid question, since Im sure most of you are experts at this stuff, but I want to get my dad a home theater system for christmas...my budget isnt anywhere near what some of you would recommend for a system, but i am looking at bestbuy.com for a good deal around $250.00-$350.00....my question is can anyone browse their webpage and maybe let me know what one to recommend???...my parents already have a dvd player, but does their dvd player have to have built in decoders as well as the receiver to get the dolby digital sound, or is it just the receiver that needs to??..I got their dvd player for them two christmas' ago, and am not sure if it has all the guts to be comaptible with a good audio theater system...i would hate to get them a system that does not include a dvd player and have it not work with their current dvd player...thanks in advance for any help, i appreciate it greatly

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I am unaware of any modern home theater reciever that cannot decode Dolby Digital and DTS. As long as the DVD player you bought your parents has either a coaxial digital or optical (Toslink) output, you should have no problems.

Which HTiB to buy? well..go to Best Buy and listen to them. At the very least make sure it has a "active" or powered subwoofer. A self powered subwoofer can be replaced by any number of aftermarket subs (And a cheap subwoofer is the first speaker people will notice). A passive subwoofer usually cannot be upgraded with these HTiB systems.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I may have to post some sort of reminder in the Basics area, but it is not intended as a section where you can compare models and prices. For that information, post in the specific Forum area designated for the specific type of gear. In this case, HTiB queries go here in A/V Sources.