What's new

Hoping All Can Help :-) (1 Viewer)

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
Where are you located? Some members here have been very generous about opening up their homes to demo gear for their fellow members. Unfortunately for a variety of very boring reasons I can’t host at the moment, but maybe someone else can.

@JohnRice is great with the speaker stuff. He was very helpful in translating marketing speak and tech terms into actual English for me years ago when I was buying mine.

I have a little bit more knowledge (but far from being the most expert voice here) on projectors. I have an Epson 5030 from a few years ago, which is a 3D-capable HD machine that works just as well now as it did when I got it five years ago. Their newest version of that model, the 5050, was just released to great reviews. The 5050 is a 4K projector that can also do 3D (which can actually be way more impressive with home projection than in theaters), and is about $3000, maybe a little less. I’m really a fan of the Epson 5000 line and think they’re worth looking at, especially if you’re on a budget. In my opinion, with an Epson, you typically get better bulb life than on some other brands, and their replacements tend to cost a little less. They’re bright, which makes them great for all sorts of rooms and screen sizes. They can easily throw a huge image. They also have a generous lens shift, more than any other brand, which gives you tremendous flexibility in where you can place it in the room. A lot of other projectors have much stricter placement requirements, which can suddenly eat into your budget in unanticipated ways if you’re stuck with a machine that needs to be hung in an inconvenient spot.

There are other great projectors out there too, so don’t necessarily limit your search to just that one, but definitely take a peek.

Figure that out of everything you buy, the speakers have the potential to last the longest - possibly decades. For a projector, it seems home video standards change every ten years or so these days (and that pace may be accelerating) but barring the invention of cheap home holograms, your projector will probably last you more than five and hopefully closer to ten years. The receiver and individual media players (disc player, streaming devices, etc) will be the things that get replaced more frequently, so my other advice would be to not sink the bulk of your budget into those items. That’s not to say you should get the cheapest thing possible but if you’re trying to stretch your dollars, it doesn’t make sense in my view to buy (for example) a cheaper projector so that you can spend more on a nicer UHD disc player. It’s probably the same with speakers and receivers. The speakers will last longer than your receiver so budget for that accordingly.

Now, this thread is really moving ... thanks to both of you.

I live in Eugene, Oregon. (University of Oregon Ducks :)

I'm taking notes on the speakers and the projector, so far.

Quick question: Since my room isn't very long ... or tall, should I consider Ultra Short Throw projectors? (17" from the wall.) Short throws? Or regular? Or are those terms obsolete?

Thanks again,

Kip

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
Hmm. I think I'll have to wait a few more months and double my budget!! (So, nix the ten grand limit.)

I went to a store and listened to speakers ... Polk, a Klipsch Set, and a Definitive Set. Several of them had speakers that plugged in on top of the towers for Atmos. All had bookshelf speakers for the rear.

Of the three, Definitive seemed the best, but I need to put a lot more bucks into speakers (I'm thinking).

So, if I were to wait until September, I could see spending $20,000 ... or maybe a little more on sound and picture. (With discussion with my wife.)

So, given new parameters, and assuming that this has to cover sound and picture (Separate AV components + speakers, screen, and projector) ... what would you recommend? Are we still on ELAC speakers and Epson Projectors, for example?

(Nod to Josh S. and John R.)

Thanks for sticking with me.

Kip P.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You’re still on the McDonald’s of speakers. Make the effort to listen to something better. See if there’s anyone who sells Vandersteen, or even Wilson, for example. Those are way out of your price range, but it might open your eyes to hear something really good. Be sure to sit down before hearing prices for Wilson.

Up firing Atmos speakers don’t produce a very effective result. Much better to install speakers in the ceiling, which is ideal for Atmos.

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
So, leave ELAC behind? I kind of liked what I saw in those (As recommended earlier on the thread), but haven't heard them in person.

Remember, I only have a 21 x 15ft room. So, I don't want overkill ... but I want impressive (and clean) sound. No listening fatigue from any harmonic muck. Clean speakers with a subwoofer to impress you. And Atmos for higher-up effects.

If your recommended speakers were "the speakers" to last me "forever," I'd consider sinking $10k into the entire set, including Atmos ... which I should do in-ceiling "for rear speakers?"

Should I get something other than in-ceiling for Atmos "at the front" of the theater?

Thanks for the help, yet again,

Kip

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I say definitely take a look into reviews and see if you can get a demo of the Epson 5050. It’s not the only great PJ out there but my person opinion is that that particular line is the best bang for the buck at the $3000 range. It performs almost as well (and better in some regards) as models twice as much. You could easily spend $5000, $10,000 or even $20,000 on a projector and I think the Epson gets you very close to the performance of a much more expensive machine, while being pretty darned impressive in its own right. It’s a popular model for that reason, so you may be able to demo it at a Best Buy Magnolia or other local home theater shop.

Make sure when you’re checking out different projectors to see what the cost of the replacement bulbs are and how often they have to be replaced. Projectors have that “maintenance” cost of having to replace the bulb so you want to be sure those long term costs are in your budget.

By all means, check out some other threads here and see what other people are running. We have members that like a variety of brands for a variety of reasons and they’re all valid in their own right. (A lot of love in particular for Epson, Sony and JVC depending on the price range.) You have a lot of good options which is great - whatever you wind up with, whatever price range you decide to spend in, there are great choices out there in all categories and I’m confident that you’re going to love whatever you end up with.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, don’t leave ELAC behind. They’re still probably a main contender, as far as I’m concerned. I’m just suggesting you get a better idea what good speakers sound like, and you won’t get that with the brands you’ve listened to. Those other two brands aren’t in your price range. Wilson’s start at over $30K a pair and go into the high six figures.

Better speakers aren’t about loud. They’re about better. Discover how really good speakers don’t sound like speakers.

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
I'll look at the ELACs some more.

I could got up to $10k for speakers, but with ELACs, I wouldn't have to.

Slight change of topic ... not really ...

I'm looking at the Denon and Marantz AVR receivers to power these speakers ... and run the Epson through. (I love the reviews I read about Epson.)

Yesterday, I wanted an AVR. This morning, I decided on separate components. Now, I'm back to an AV Receiver.

Preferences between Denon and Marantz?

Kip P.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll be in the market for a new receiver in a couple years so I’m curious to that answer as well. I know some of our members are big Denon guys but this is absolutely not my area of expertise.

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
From what I found in research ... the comparison is between Toyota and Lexus. They are owned by the same company, but Lexus is ... well ... better. My wife drives a Toyota and I drive a Lexus, and we've had lots of Toyotas.

Denon is the Toyota, and Marantz is the Lexus. And both are owned by the same company.

I hope this helps. I"m a newbie, but someone needed to answer us, or tell us how to "jump to another thread."

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, Denon and Marantz have the same parent company and share a lot of their tech. Both brands actually have extremely high end receivers. Only Denon has more budget conscious ones. Marantz starts at close to $1,000, and also offers separates, which Denon doesn't. Denon offers a wide variety of models, kind of an absurd number, actually. They probably have 20 different receivers, where Marantz has four, plus two compact models. They're actually effectively aimed at different customers. Some people don't like the tiny porthole display of the Marantz. I have to admit, it was an adjustment for me, and at first I kept the drop-down door open to see the larger display that is on the higher models. After a while, I realized I prefer the on-screen display when I want to check something. It displays far more info than the front display ever could, nice and large on the screen, superimposed over the picture.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Kip - I'm not the guy for hardware but I might suggest you check other threads in this section. I know that several members are going thru or have gone thru some of the same problems you are having. It could be that many of your questions have been asked and answered.
Hope you get the info you need.

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
Why "Mysto?"

(I ask, because I'm into magic.)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Why "Mysto?"

(I ask, because I'm into magic.)

Thanks for the recommendation.
I've been active in magic for over 60 years (not bad for a guy 39). I have a pretty good movie and tv collection but - my magic performance video collection is probably larger.

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
I've been active in magic for over 60 years (not bad for a guy 39). I have a pretty good movie and tv collection but - my magic performance video collection is probably larger.

I'm 59, have been into magic since I was 7 ... and have almost no performance videos. I have lots of tutorial DVDS and VHSes, that I have not yet converted. (Note: I love my magic book collection, too.)

If this isn't totally inappropriate for this thread ... may I ask what performance videos you really love?
And who are your favorite magicians, past and present?

PS I had never thought of watching performance videos in the theater, when it's finished. We had been thinking "movie," and music concerts on video. Hmm.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I'm 59, have been into magic since I was 7 ... and have almost no performance videos. I have lots of tutorial DVDS and VHSes, that I have not yet converted. (Note: I love my magic book collection, too.)

If this isn't totally inappropriate for this thread ... may I ask what performance videos you really love?
And who are your favorite magicians, past and present?

PS I had never thought of watching performance videos in the theater, when it's finished. We had been thinking "movie," and music concerts on video. Hmm.
Seeing as this is the introductions thread - I think it's OK.
Many of my performance videos are not of a quality to put on my theater screen. I have been collecting since the advent of BetaMax. I do find that Penguin Lectures play well on the big screen almost like being there.
I owned a training company in Michigan and most of my magic was part of my classes for engineers and managers of the big 3. I have invented a few items for the trade but none were big hits and I have published in Pabular, Magick, and Apocalypse. I also was the "fill in" guy for many restaurant workers in the area averaging 2-3 nights a week for several years doing table close-up. Yes, I'm a close up guy not stage.

I have been lucky enough to be friends with many greats. Karrel Fox, Milt Kort, Karl Norman, Nick Trost, Don Alan were all friends of mine. Now in Florida, I'm in an area where I don't see many any more although I do visit Danny Tong from time to time. Being in magic as long as you have, you probably know all of these names.

Magic has been a lifelong friend and I find that it plays well with a love for film. Many magicians that I know love movies and I'm one of them. I'm pretty sure that there are others here that are magicians or have a passion for magic. There was a nice send off for Ricky Jay here.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ker-ricky-jay-has-passed.359884/#post-4676461

I see that you haven't gotten a lot of response on your questions on your theater project. As you get closer, perhaps try more pointed questions (hardware specific) in the Home Theater section might get you better answers.

Great to have new people on HTF and even better to have a fellow magic enthusiast on board.

Last edited:

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
Yes, I have heard of all mentioned ... but have never met them.

Michigan ... do you know of Nathan Kranzo?
Florida ... do you know Lee Asher?
How about Michael Ammar?

I'm from Oregon ... my mentor when I was growing up was Jerry Andrus.

I cowrote for years with Lee Asher ... we published in Channel One (Close Up Magazine), and we had a year-long column in England's Magic Circular.

I have edited for several magicians and even a mind reader. (Shh ... my wife has ghost written two booklets/lecture notes for pro magi.)

The only magic book that I have written is a hardcover, "Coin Snatching: The Reputation Builder" (by Keith "Kip" Pascal). Although, I have one in the wings ... just needs the photos, another edit, and a cover ... then off to the printer. Hopefully in 2019.

I mostly write in the world of martial arts, or at least more than magic. Oh, and I have one business ebook out and one children's book.

And there, my new friend(s) ... is my "Home theater introduction."

Oh ... and I am primarily into Close-Up magic, too.

BTW ... I'm still thinking Marantz for the receiver.
I want a sound transparent screen, so I can hide speakers. (Maybe 135")
I'm still on Epson projectors ($2k - $3k range). And I can't decide on speakers ...
The store that I like and that will match online prices ... sells ELAC, Magnepans (won't work because mine will have to be too close to the wall), Paradigm, and KEF.
All sound fine.

And yes, I have been voraciously reading the other threads on this forum.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I have met Lee a few times (he might remember Luka's Motor City Convention) as well as Michael but I doubt they'd remember me. I know Nate and even filled in for him at one of his restaurants a long time ago. Jerry stayed at my home many many years ago when he was doing a lecture tour. What an interesting guy.

Sounds like you is busy. Great job on getting the books out. Maybe later on we can PM some more about this stuff - here I want to focus on Home Theater

I can't help much with the hardware. We live in a smaller retirement home in Florida. The theater is also the guest room. The room is smaller and I like a big screen so I had to go with a short throw Optima. Not my ideal choice but I wanted that 10' edge to edge screen. It is mounted on a custom floor unit that can be rolled out of the way when guests are here. The screen is a sanded re-painted wall. The sound system is a Vizio 5.1 sound bar. I will be upgrading the sound system but it will still probably have to remain a sound bar for space - I want one that does Atmos. We only have room for two recliner theater seats but for us it makes a pretty nice evening. We don't go to the theater anymore. Ours is more comfortable - nobody takes out their cell phone - and the projectionist will stop the movie for bathroom or food breaks. Quality is pretty good too and I think our 3D is superior. Our BR player is 4K so maybe some day...

I know one of the guys on here was working on making his own sound transparent screen. Makes a great screen at a pretty low cost. You might want to check it out. We'll be watching to see what you build.

Kip P.

Agent
Real Name
Keith
Yes, sometime we can PM about the magi. Lee is one of my closest friends. So, is Michael. And Nate and I text or talk every few months.

Our latest decision is to take out the sliding glass door, and replace it with a solid, smaller door to the outside. So, no light in the room.

I have been clearing out the intended room, as fast as I can. I think I want to order seats first ... so, I can mess with placement, and THEN build the riser.

Meanwhile, I'm planning the sound and picture end of it, as we prep the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks