Hope I made the right SVS decision

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Hen, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide on which SVS. My final decision is the 25-31CS+. Just placed my order and now the anticipation starts. I'll be replacing my Polk PSW650. The Polk did ok but I just haven't been very impressed with it ever since I bought it a year ago. Before I placed my order, I went out to my local dealer to see what they had. They tried to sell me the Mirage bipolar 8" sub for $800. I even sat down at their computer and showed them the svs website (they never heard of svs). Of course they want to sell their product, so I got the speach about well how long has svs been around, we offer great customer service, the svs design has been tried before, good sub manufacturers are moving away from down fireing subs etc. They almost had me swayed from svs, but only for a second. Local dealers just hate hearing internet, especially when I told them I have the Outlaw Receiver and am considering svs (they hadn't heard of Outlaw either). Hopefully my new SVS will make me Proud!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Once you get the SVS,
    Ask them to arrange a A/B comparison with that wonderful dual 8. Then ask them to arrange a A/B with the most expensive subwoofer they have in their store[​IMG]
    I can understand the skepticism...I just wish the b/m guys wouldn't always make the worst case assumptions all the time about internet based manufacturers.
    I think you'll find the 25-31CS+ to be a substantial upgrade over the 650 too.
    How large is your room? What amp are you using with the CS+?(S1000? from SVS?).
    TV

3. Steven Hen

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Im not an SVS owner, but I did, at one time, own the Mirage BPS-150i they were trying to sell you. That particular Mirage sub IMO neither excells in HT or music. Its somewhere in the middle. Its also limited in its output and ability to reach down low, due to its small drivers. All this wouldent be so bad if the sub itself diddent take up so much floor space. I hope the SVS works out better for you. From what I read here you should be more than happy with it.

5. Steven Hen

6. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

One thing that always amazes me is how most B+M employees have a complete lack of knowledge WRT internet based products. You would think that these guys who sell A/V equipment for a living would be online and in forums like this. B+M's had better start recognizing the internet products or they're in for a lot of lost sales.
    Sadly, it's not just the internet products that they are clueless about. I've gone into Tweeter a number of times to ask some questions about equipment only to realize that I know more about upcoming product lines then they do.
    Mention SVS to a Tweeter rep and you get a blank stare. [​IMG]
    Sorry for the OT.

7. Steven Hen

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

9. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I bought a svs 20-39+ after months of research and let me tell you that thing rocks the house, and the owners of svs bend over backwards for thier customers trust me![​IMG] Hopefully I will ad another sub to my ht soon[​IMG]
    Good luck Bob
    My system
    Mits 65819 hdtv
    Pioneer elite 49tx
    Parasound hca 2205 thx ultra amp
    Sony progressive scan dvd
    Paradigm studio 100s v2
    studio cc
    studio adp
    jbl control 5 (rears)
    better cables component and audio connect silver serphents

10. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Being a Wisconsinite myself (I'm only in Iowa for college) I can say this with with all honesty: You'll get a lot of blank stares in Wisconsin. Unless you are talking about beer or the Packers... [​IMG]

11. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>You'll get a lot of blank stares in Wisconsin.

12. Steven Hen

13. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I live in Minnesota. Uh... Go Vikings? :b

On the day I received my SVS, I traveled with my friend, Ben, to a local B&M store about 20 minutes from my house to audtion some Paradigm speakers he was considering. During the audition, Ben asked the salesman what he thought of these Internet companies like SVS and Outlaw. The salesman replied, "If they're sold on the Internet, it's probably for a reason," of course insinuating that they're not very good products and can't work their way into a real store like the one he worked at.

I'll tell you, much of the gear I own has been purchased from companies that sell their stuff Internet direct to consumers, and overall the quality of what those companies offer surpasses what I could get from the B&M stores. Outlaw, Perpetual Technologies, Home Theater Direct, SVS, Adire Audio, and nOrh (to name a few) have really raised the bar when it comes to price and performance ratios. They've convinced me that they're the best buy for my home theater dollars. I only wish one of these companies would make TVs for sale on the Internet only. Think of the sweet deals to be made there!

14. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I have mentioned SVS to some of these hifi sales guys and one has said they new about SVS. That same guy runs 4 Martin Logan Odysees with a Velodyne HGS 18, I would say he knew Adam from Eve.

Internet companies usually care more becuase you are dealing with the actual company itself, how many have gone into a store and bought speakers from Mirage employess, or Def Tec employees, not! I am sure these salesman want you to be happy but in the end who is going to care more that you got the best sub, TV or John Smith salesman.

15. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Although I didn't hear the CS+ version of the 2531 model, I did experience a dual 2531cs setup and it was very very impressive. It was my initial introduction to what quality bass REALLY is. Just for kicks the owner of the SVS 2531's unhooked one of the subs so that I could hear just one and it too was very good and loud but not as loud or as deep with 2 which is totally understandable.

If the CS+ model is a step up from the original I can't see you going wrong with that choice.

Happy Woofing!!