What's new

Hope everyone has or is gonna pick up Snow White. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I just saw a commercial, and it's going out of production(DVD and VHS) and into the vault for another 10 years as of January 31st. I got my copy when it first came out.

John Torrez

Second Unit
I don't get their stupid policy. Wouldn't they make more money if they just kept the release out there all the time?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Like every other Disney title that went out of print, this will be in the retail stream for months, so there is no panic.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't understand it either. This is a classic Disney movie, and should be available all the time. I heard they were ding the same with Dumbo, but I'm probably wrong.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
... but I second the advice: pick that glorious DVD up, if you haven't already!

Cees

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm thinking about getting a second "backup" copy just in case something happens to my playing copy.

It's worth it since you can get the DVD for 19.99 in most stores...inexpensive, IMO.

bill lopez

Second Unit
I think they say that so everybody who wasn't even thinking of buying will buy it for their kids that they don't even have yet.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I bought "Snow White" solely on the outstanding reviews here and I have to say the DVD is a revelation! Easily the best produced DVD of 2001. The color and clarity is simply outstanding. The add-ons are also wonderful. Had a great time last night playing the diamond mine ride game. I am SO pleased with this 2 DVD set that I'm sending copies of it to my brother and sister for their families.

Get this even if you don't have kids; it's that good.

So far, my vote for the best DVDs of 2001 have been Snow White and Shrek-- both animated! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Jason

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't get their stupid policy. Wouldn't they make more money if they just kept the release out there all the time?
Not necessarily. Most of a title's sales, no matter the medium, come in the first few months/weeks/days of release. That's when it's heavily promoted, has premium shelf space is in the public eye, etc. That's why you cut prices on titles after they've been out a few months to increase their appeal, and why studios try to front-load their distribution contracts.

So, that's why it behooves a studio to rerelease titles on a regular basis, with a new push. But, for the rerelease to matter, the title must have been unavailable. If you know the title will be unavailable, it makes sense to promote it as only being available for a limited time.

What Buena Vista is trying to do is get everyone who would possibly purchase the title over the next ten years to purchase it now, instead of putting it off or choosing something else or waiting for the price to drop. Although I may disagree about the ten-year time period (that's an eternity in today's entertainment industry), I can't really say it's likely to cost them money. It may seem to go against common sense that they can make more money by having Snow White available for four months than for ten years, but it may be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks