Hopalong Cassidy TV Collection 1

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Hug, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Following up on their licensed releases of "Dangerous Assignment" and "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon," Critics Choice Video will be releasing 26 episodes of the Hopalong Cassidy TV series on May 23rd. The episodes will be spread out over 4 discs. You can get more information at their site at the link below, but be aware that Critics Choice's "sister" online store, DeepDiscountDVD.com has a better pre-order price ($24.98 shipped):

http://www.ccvideo.com/item.cfm?itemid=CCD001169

Hopalong Cassidy is one of the oldest television Westerns available on DVD. Though most of Critics Choice's "house brand" DVDs are of the usual public domain variety, they have been licensing some older shows over the last year so fans of vintage television shows may want to keep any eye out on their releases. To see all of their "house brand" releases (a mix of TV shows and films), use the link below:

http://www.ccvideo.com/room.cfm?roomid=41

2. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Interesting. Not really a show I'd go crazy over but it's still good to see stuff like this coming out.

3. Roger_S

Roger_S Stunt Coordinator

I enjoy old shows (from the 50s and such) but I have to laugh at two things regarding this site. First, some of the box covers don't match the listings. For The Gabby Hayes Show, Vol. 2, for instance, they have box art from My Little Margie. Secondly, instead of a shopping "cart", like most sites have, they have shopping bags. I guess their prices are so low they can't afford carts!

4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I'll give the series a chance. I've seen dozens and dozens of Hoppy movies, but never an example the tv-series. Generally, though, I tend to prefer far more the feature-film efforts of the b-western stars (Autry, Rogers, etc.) than their tv-show incarnations. Still, I love seeing this sort of material become available. It's always easy-to-take, at the very least. Plus, it's a bit of americana, which shouldn't be forgotten and hidden away in film vaults, never to be seen again.

5. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    According to all of my reference sources (both books and online), the original NBC "Hopalong Cassidy" series was nothing more than William Boyd's Paramount "Hopalong Cassidy" movies edited down to fit a one-hour-with-commercials time slot.

When the show entered syndication, it became a half-hour -- and STILL, 12 episodes were edited down (way down) versions of Boyd's United Artists "Hopalong Cassidy" movies.

That leaves only 40 new, half-hour episodes that were filmed for television, with Edgar "Uncle Billy/Uncle Joe" Buchanan as the sidekick. I'm wondering if the 26 episodes on the DVD set will come from these 40 -- otherwise, they'll just be re-edited old movies.

6. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I don't know what sources you are using but all of the TV encyclopedias I looked at say the 52 half hours were all shot for television, separate from the theatrical films.

7. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    I bought the Critic's Choice HOPALONG CASSIDY TV COLLECTION 1.

It is an authorized edition from U.S.Television Office,Inc. The first 12 episodes on the set are 26 minute versions, of the last 12 Hopalong Cassidy feature films, which were produced by William Boyd. There are 14 of the Edgar Buchanan made for syndicated TV episodes. There is also a bonus, the excellent 67 minute documentary: HOPALONG CASSIDY: Public Hero #1.

The 12 cut down episodes were made to give the syndicated series a total of 52 episodes. There were only 40 episodes made with Buchanan. (See: RIDING THE VIDEO RANGE, by Gary A.Yoggy).

The back of box tells us that COLLECTION 2 will have (the remaining) 26 episodes. COLLECTION 3 will have "10...Hoppy movies". These 10 are probably the 10 Hoppy feature length movies that have not been released yet in authorized editions, on DVD.

As Hoppy fans should know there were 66 Hoppy features. U.S.TV Office,Inc. has released 56 of them on DVD. 16 in 8 double-features from Image, and 40 in 8 discs from Platinum Disc Corp.

So it looks like, even though it took three companies to do it, every Hopalong Cassidy film and TV show will be on DVD.

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Bob Gu - how is the A/V quality of these episodes?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

9. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Steve, I have not watched them all yet, but so far I would say they are look and sound excellent especially the Edgar Buchanan episodes. I did notice some softness in the picture in a night scene on one of the condensed feature episodes. If you are a Hoppy fan you gotta have 'em.

10. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    The HOPALONG CASSIDY TV COLLECTION 2 has a Sept.5,2006 release date at deepdiscountdvd.com($24.98). This set has the last 26 episodes of the Hoppy TV series on 4 DVDs. Pretty fast release, just over three months since COLLECTION 1.

11. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The Critic's Choice set of the rest of the Hopalong Cassidy feature films is scheduled to be released on January 16. Deep Discount is selling it for $29.96.