HOOSIERS Special Edition Coming 03/01/05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChadP2k, Feb 15, 2004.

1. ChadP2k

ChadP2k Stunt Coordinator

Just caught this little tidbit while reading a story on the upcoming 50th anniversary of the Milan-Muncie Central game that inspired Hoosiers. Apparantly MGM is leading up to a Special edition release of the movie:

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Can you say: Anamorphic!!!

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Sweet, I'll have to pick it up.

4. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I'll pick this up too. I think Hoosiers is the best basketball movie ever made. I think David Anspaugh, who directed this and Rudy (IMHO the best football movie ever made), needs to do a hockey and baseball movie, since he has done so well in the sports genre.

5. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Excellent film. I put off buying the current edition and I'm glad I did so. Hackman, as ever, is brilliant, as is Dennis Hopper.

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I just bought the current disc in January, but I can always sell it/give it to a friend when this comes out.

8. jake moosey

jake moosey Stunt Coordinator

I cant wait... I'll deffinatley get this!--I wonder if it will include the soundtrack like the Rudy: SE.

9. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

This is great news! I actually think the ancient LIVE/Artisan DVD has a better transfer than MGM's effort -- and the 2.0 sound on the LIVE disc is actually crisper than the muddled 5.1 track MGM included on their release.

A 16:9 proper enhancement would do a world of good [​IMG]

10. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

11. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

12. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yep I'm buying that.

14. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I actually have a VHS of the Muncie Central / Milan game. I am a big fan of Indiana High School basketball and found it on the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA)website. If you are a fan of Indiana basketball, the IHSAA has many state final games for sale on VHS.

It goes without saying that this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I remember seeing it in the theaters with a girlfriend who could give a rat's ass about basketball and she loved it too.

Hinkle Fieldhouse, where they filmed the final game, (and where Indiana State Finals were played from 1928 through 1971) still stands on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis and is home for both the men's and women's basketball teams. Now you know more about Hinkle Fieldhouse than you wanted to.

15. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for the info Jeff. I am a huge fan of this movie and have been interested in the history of Illinois High School basketball tournaments. I remember the 1964 Illinois state basketball finals included a small town from Southern Illinois, the Cobden Appleknockers.

Watching Hoosiers has always reminded me of that championship game. Hoosiers was the first DVD I purchased when I got my first DVD player in September 1998. I am definitely getting the new version.

I wish this would happen, but unfortuneatly there was never a cd release of this movie's soundtrack.

16. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Wow. That is a Midwest high school name if I've ever heard one. Indiana has since gone the way of Illinois and most if not all other states and instituted class basketball. In my opinion, it has taken a lot of the intrigue and romance out of the game.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  18. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I hope this starts a trend with companies putting those important games on SE's of DVDs. For instance, I really wanted the USA vs. USSR game to be on "Miracle" and the Odessa-Permian vs. Dallas-Carter to be on "Friday Night Lights". It just adds so much more to my appreciation of a film to have things like this included for perspective. Release day purchase for me!

19. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I completely agree with this, and will definitely pick this up on release date.