What's new

Hooray! It really is the 21st century (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Better hope its not running on Windows.:D

I think I'm gonna wait 10 on this one. See how it goes before I put my life in the hands of some lasers and video cameras.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I saw something about this (maybe not this particular model but the tech) on the History Channel a couple of years ago.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I felt like it was finally the 21st Century when I went to my brother's apartment and his little Roomba robot vacuum cleaner zoomed back and forth around the room doing its job, then parked itself back into its recharging dock. Very Jetsons-ish. Who would have thought that vacuuming would become a spectator sport?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I once saw a special where they had a radar laser on the front of a car that sensed when the car (in front of you) would slow up. The radar (which is MUCH quicker than human reaction time) determined if you had enough time to stop and applied the brakes if not.

It was a neat idea, but there are probably a lot of bad things that could happen as well. What if an object rolled across the highway and your car automatically slammed on the brakes? What if it malfunctioned and locked up your brakes?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm sure they're trying to think of everything that could possibly go wrong.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Some cars available now have laser-regulated cruise control that instead of maintaining a single set speed will actually automatically let up on the gas and even apply the brakes if the car ahead slows to below your set speed. If the vehicle ahead slows to below your set speed, the cruise control will maintain a safe distance and speed up to your set speed if the car ahead speeds up.

The Toyota Prius is available in Japan with a system that uses similar sensing technology to automatically parallel park the car. You pull up ahead of the desired parking place and activate the system and it does the rest!

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
WOOHOOO...finally my dreams of being able to watch my portable DVD player while my car does the driving has come to pass.

I love technology!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks