What's new

Hooray for Bollywood on TCM! (1 Viewer)

WillardK

Second Unit
Wow! I was flipping channels last night and when a Bollywood film showed up on TCM I did a double take. Bombay was quite good but the real treat came afterwards with 1977's Amar Akbar Anthony. I've seen only a few handsful of Bollywood films and especially like the style done in the 60's and 70's (not just for the campy fashions and acting, but I prefer the music from that era... though Bombay's was very beautiful). The recently lauded Lagaan I actually found to be one of the more uninteresting and dull Bollyfilms I've sat through. In any case, Amar Akbar Anthony was a romp and a half! From the convoluted plot (it's a comedy... with drama, action and everything else in Bollywood smorgasbord tradition) to the fight scene choreography, set/costume design and of course the music, it was one of the more entertaining Bollyfilms I've seen. I'm so looking forward to the remainder of TCM's series. Is there anyone with some familiarity with the scheduled films who can make specific recommendations?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I can't stand Bollywood films and wish TCM would devote Thursday nights to something else.:angry::D

Samurai night
Spaghetti westerns
French films
Movies that start with the letter 'T'
anything besides Bollywood

WillardK

Second Unit
Well... noting, but presently disregarding the bits of samurai and spaghetti western to be found in Bollywood films, I thank you for the threadcrap.

Do you know of any anti-Bollywood independent films to suggest? I've looked up a few titles of interest but they seem few and far between, or not too available here in the states.

I applaud TCM's series. They've evidently put much thought into selecting a variety of themes and vintages.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Sorry, Willard. I was just giving my opinion of Bollywood on TCM which I thought was the subject of the thread. If a mod feels I crapped on your thread they can feel free to delete my post(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks