What's new

Hookup Help (1 Viewer)

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Directv system installed today with a Hughes HDVR2 Tivo. The HDVR2 has an optical audio out but I am unable to get sound through the optical audio.

My receiver is a Denon 2802. Here is what I've tried:

S-vid from HDVR2 straight to TV.
Optical cable from HDVR2 to Optical-2 of the receiver.
In the receiver set up I have assigned TV/DBS to optical-2.

I thought that would be what I needed to do, but when I select TV/DBS on the reciver I am getting no sound. If I hookup with RCA audio jacks from the HDVR2 to the TV I do get sound through the TV. I'm missing something but I can't figure it out yet and I've come up empty on searches for hookup help. So any input on what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Do you need to turn on the optical out put on the Sat receiver via a set up screen, or possibly enable dd5.1 decoding? How about the the A/V receiver, does it have an On-Screeen Display that needs to be accessed to rename/turn-on the optical input?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You have to enable the digital out on the decoder box and assign optical-2 to the TV/DBS output on the Denon. I don't know how to do it on the sat box but the Denon digtal ssignment is right in the setup menu. After that, the Denon should just auto sense the type of input and you are good to go.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also have the hdvr2. i don't recall having to "enable" the optical output, but i'm not 100% on that.

do you have any other optical source you can connect to the denon? if so, that'll tell you if the problem is in the receiver or the tivo.

you may also want to check about the enabling optical thing in the pvr forum....or go to tivocommunity.com and do a search there.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for the replies. I did not set the satellite box for DD output. Also my receiver was not in auto detect mode, not sure how that happened but I've been rewiring to accomodate the Tivo so I may have changed the mode. Anyhow I now have glorious sound from my Tivo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks