What's new

Hookup help please. (1 Viewer)

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
My stuff finally got here. so hookup questions arise. I have an A/V(989,7.1),DVD,DirecTV,TV,7.1 speakers. I plan to use component video.

1) Does one operate the TV as a unit for regular TV?

2) The diagrams put out by MonsterCable show the video going directly from the DVD to the TV. I thought that everything went thru the A/V?

2)Is there a link somewhere as to how these units should be routed?

I have a man demolishing the room behind my HT wall in order to mount stuff in the wall. Also we getting the speaker wires hidden and to the right spots. It would be nice to quickly see how to hook the units while the wall is open.

TIA BH

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
I assumue its the Onkyo 989. If so it has component switching. You can run the DVD into the reciever then out to the TV. This is a help for convenience only if the rest of your equipment has component. Because I dont think any sat or cable boxes have that, then you still have to switch the TV for viewing DVD. If you are set on component, then hook them directly to the TV. This is probably the best way.

If your direct tv has S-video then you might also try routing them through the reciever, let the 989 due the switching and leave your TV on one channel(s-video).

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Bob: some advice.

When in doubt, run extra wire.

Find the corner of the room with the 2 longest un-broken walls and run some RG6 coax here for a subwoofer.

Run some RG6 coax to behind the primary listening position so you can later drive bass-shakers or tactile tranducers under your couch.

Onto your questions:

1) Regular TV - I normally just use the TV speakers for ordinary TV watching, but I run the DSS system through the receiver. This is how I get the better picture & sound. Most other people use a VCR and run it's outputs through the receiver for stereo/surround sound.

2) Connections - Your receiver will not convert one type of video to another. I suggest you run SVideo from EVERYTHING to the receiver, then SVideo to the TV.

In addition, run Component cables straight from the DVD player straight to the TV. For "normal" watching, leave the TV looking at the SVideo feed. This makes the system simple to use. But when you sit down to watch a DVD, take the extra step and flip to the Component feed. (This gives you the best of both worlds).

3) Is there a link - Not really. There is no ONE way to hook things up because there are so many different devices you could hook up. (Thats why it's a bit complicated). This fourm is one of the best to ask for advice so feel free to hit us with your questions.

Good Luck.

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
;) Thank you Bob. This is the best I've had! We have a totally demolished wall and a few K$ into this project and are enjoying the @#$%^ out of it!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Bob: We love pictures. Before,during and after. (our wives hate it however as we start looking at our walls with visions of power saws in our minds :) )

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
Bob: I'm getting pictures. This is the most gloriously complicated wall in history. My dear wife [48 aniv. 2/26] is an author and speaker; the back side of my HT wall is going to be her writing station w/ PC, printer. scanner and desk! I'm making doors on both sides to get to UNSEEN wires!
A couple of good ideas: my Sony 36XBR will be recessed with just its frame showing; add a HotLink so no components are seen; I'm having a local shop fabricate brackets to mount inside the wall so the CSW L/R will "float" at the end of a 3/4" steel tube. Visually one will see the TV screen on the wall with C slightly above and at the same protrusion; L/R will just be out a foot or so with little appearant support.
It don't get no better than this.:D
Equip:
Sony 38XBR
Onkyo 989
Toshiba 3375
Sony VCR
2x DirecTV (for PIP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member