Hooking up

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisBL, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ChrisBL

ChrisBL Auditioning

Hi, I kind of have a newbie question. I just purchased, but haven't yet received, the new Sony 50" LCD TV and a Pioneer DV-45A DVD player. I want to run component cables instead of s-video from the DVD player to my Sherbourn pre/pro and then out to my TV, which I know I can do. However, my cable box (Comcast) does not have component cables, so I have to run s-video from the box to the pre/pro then to the tv. Is it possible to do both or is it even necessary (in other words, will the component cables on the video out portion run the s-video signal from the cable box)?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Generally, the pre/pro will NOT convert one video type to the other.

My advice: Run SVideo from EVERYTHING to the pre/pro, then a SVideo cable to the TV.

Also, run component cables directly to the TV from the DVD player.

This gives you the best of both worlds. The TV simply displays the SVideo and the pre/pro handles all the audio/video switching. But for serious DVD watching, you take the extra step and grab the TV remote to flip to the direct component signal.

3. Ken Wilson

Ken Wilson Agent

Your Sherbourn converts composite video to s-video, but no component converts composite or s-video to component. And, unless you have two sources with component video outputs, there's no advantage to running a component signal through the Sherbourn first, then to your TV. As the other poster said, run the component directly to your TV.
    Also, your On-Screen Display for Sherbourn functions will probably not work over the component output from the Sherbourn, so it would be a good idea to also run an s-video cable from your DVD player (and evrything else) to your Sherbourn and then out to the TV. Then you can switch to s-video on the TV to make adjustments and still have a picture in the background.