What's new

hooking up two subs? (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm re-wiring my set up and had a question about running my two subs.
Currently I'm using the split (left and right) subwoofer outs on my a-1 then using a pair of y cords to split the sound then using some genderchanger rca plugs to then hook up two sets of rcas to then connect to each subs left and right input. the subs are not identical so
I figured I should stack them (so there aren't directional differences).

I'm thinking this is not the best way to do this. Should I just use one y cord to split the mono sub out (the a-1 has a mono and left and right sub outs, 3 total) and then use another y cord to recreate a dual input for the one sub (owners manual recomend this), and use the other mono run to hook to the other sub? (Which recomends using just the right input for this type of configuration)

Also, I read somewhere that some people are just using RG6 cable with adapters for their sub cables. What does everyone think of this?

Thanks!

Brad

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,

Getting the signal to the subs is all that matters; how you do it is academic. Both the methods you described are functional; one is not necessarily better than the other, from an electrical standpoint. Sure, there may be a slight signal loss splitting one of the Yamaha’s outputs vs. using both of them, but that’s what subs have gain controls for.

Bottom line: Use the method that requires the least amount of extraneous cabling.

Re RG-6, people typically use it for a long cable run, because it’s cheap. If you already have the cabling you need, no need to run out and buy something different.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne! I guess I should have stated my concern better, which was loss of signal. I was concerned that the signal might be split too much.

Thanks again!

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks