Hooking up STB

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CheriF, Nov 8, 2004.

1. CheriF

CheriF Auditioning

I am trying to hook my STB (Samsung SIR-T351) to my Toshiba 36HF73 with cable and a Silver Sensor antenna. I have the DVI cable, but can't figure out how to connect the cable and antenna. The directions say I need a 75 (omega) adaptor, but I can't find anything that looks like the picture in the manual. Will the adaptor with the proper connection on one side and 2 identical connections on the other work (sorry, I don't know all the technical terms to describe it)?

I am very new at all of this and I can't imagine why I thought I could handle all the technical stuff. But now it's become a mission. Besides, my bf is working in France for the next 3 months, so I don't have anyone to ask.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheri

2. John S

John S Producer

I take it the issue is, the Silver Sensor antenna is not coax? Radio Shack does sell Twin lead to Coax adapters.

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Cheri, the Silver Sensor should have come with a cable. That cable screws into the antenna near the top. The other end screws into the back of the Samsung STB, into the jack labelled "antenna."

The DVI cable connects from the STB to the back of the tv. DVI carries only video, so you also need a cable for audio (2 rca connectors, red + white).

4. CheriF

CheriF Auditioning

Thanks for the help. Yes, the Silver Sensor has a coax and I know it goes to the connection marked antenna. However, I still have to hook the Comcast cable to the box, hence need for an adaptor to hook both into the antenna spot. And I do have the audio cables for the DVI hook up. I will search Radio Shack again.

Thanks again.

Cheri

5. John S

John S Producer

I think what your really need is a 75 Ohm Coax switcher.

You basically have 2 Coax feeds, and only one input correct?

6. CheriF

CheriF Auditioning

Yes, John, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Is that what it's called? And can I get one at Radio Shack?

Thanks a million.

CHeri

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You won't be able to use cable and OTA at the same time because of overlapping frequencies. If you decide to use a switcher, you will have to go through a channel scan each time you switch. What are you trying to accomplish by connecting your cable to your STB? Tuning in HD? Probably won't work. I don't think Samsung includes QAM tuners, just ATSC. Most Zenith (LG Electronics) STBs do include QAM tuners.

-Robert

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

That Samsung will tune QAM, but only if it's not scrambled.
    A few cable systems leave the local HD stations unscrambled, comcast in some parts of California leaves locals unscrambled, but Cheri should be able to get them with her antenna anyway. All premium channels (hbo, showtime) will be scrambled and chances are the other cable hd channels like espn, discovery hd, etc. will also be scrambled.