hooking up some low grade speakers which have a "headphone input" to a tv...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Phillip_K, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

Hello all,

Some of you I'm sure know me from the beach house audio bonanza. Now I'm trying to do something even more extraordinary.

I have 2.1 speaker system from some no name I am trying to make use of for my room upstairs in conjuction with my tv and with my xbox. It is supposed to normally only hook up to your standard cd player through its headphone input. Is there any crazy way to make it do what I want it to do? The TV I have isnt the greatest either, as it has just 2 RCA inputs (female inputs) as opposed to the standard 3 in most TVs.

2. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

So because no one has a solution I am assuming this is impossible.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Phillip,

It may because your information is pretty vague. For instance, is this 2.1 speaker system powered computer speakers, or what?
    Since there seems to be some confusion on your part as to what constitutes an input or an output, are your sure the TV jacks are inputs? It would be helpful if you would tell us what their labeling on the TV says. Are the jacks colored?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

I apologize. By no measurement am I an audiophile.

Yes these are powered computer speakers. There are two satelites and one subwoofer. They are the pretty standard 2.1 computer speaker deal. For all the speakers to be powered, they must be plugged in via their power supply. What I was saying when I said

is that the speakers could potentially be connected to a CD player via their headphone output, AKA their "connector". However, their advertised purpose is to be connected to a PC to enhance the listening experience there.

The TV I am trying to hook them up to has a yellow and a white female. The standard for most TV's today is yellow, white, and red...I'm sure you know what I am talking about now, but I dont know if this has anything to do with trying to use the speakers in conjunction with the TV.

I "crazy" thing I want them to do is to reproduce the sound that the TV normally produces by itself only. This way I can make my listening experience with my xbox better. The only thing I use the TV for is to play my xbox (if you are curious to know, once or twice a week).

The model number for the speakers is CA3001, they are made by Cyber Acoustics. I would post a link but am not allowed.

Hope that helps a bit, any other vagueness please comment.

5. Phillip_K

Phillip_K Agent

From digitaladvisor:

"Enjoy the ergonomic, space-saving design of Cyber Acoustics' affordable 2.1-channel PC speaker system...Includes 9-volt power adapter...Controls include a Power on/off switch, a Power-on indicator, and volume control. The system is PC and Mac compatible with a single minijack .125-inch stereo analog audio input..."

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It can be done, but only if the TV's "yellow and white" are output, not input. I doubt this is the case and even if true, it would only be mono, not stereo. You may be able to hook them directly to the X-Box. Does the X-Box have stereo outputs (i.e. Red and White)? If it does, you need to go to Radio Shack and get a stereo RCA to .125" minijack adaptor. Make sure it has a female minijack and whatever connectors allow you to attach to the X-Box (male or female).

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Phillip,

Jeff has the right idea. The TV’s jacks are video and mono audio inputs, so they’re out of the picture. Your only chance of getting x-box audio into these speakers is if the x-box has the red/white RCA outputs Jeff mentioned. If that’s the case, all you need is some adapters to convert it to the speaker’s stereo mini jack.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt