What's new

Hooking up Sanyo Z2 Projector & Yamaha RXV-1400 (1 Viewer)

ChrisFR

Grip
I have a Yamaha RXV-1400 Receiver and will soon be getting a Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector.

My question is whether I can connect just one set of composite cables from the receiver to the projector. I have a DVD player, XBOX & Digital TV STB hooked up to the receiver.

My understanding is that the receiver will upconvert the various signals to component and will enable me to route everything throough the receiver Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think recievers work like that. For that you will need a scaler. You will have to have component cables coming from each source into the reciever, that you want to output via component from the reciever.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
No, Chris is right, the 1400 gives you component upconversion.

You can do what you said, Chris, no problem.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you're only going to have one set of interconnects between the receiver and projector, why not hook up the component cables?

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator

Even if your receiver can "upconvert" lesser sources to component, you're not going to get the quality that you may be expecting. Which wouldn't matter anyway, due to the fact that you are feeding your Z2 with one of the worse feeds possible.

If you want to do "Component" Switching, I suggest you get an Audio Authority 1154, and not go through your reciever.

ChrisFR

Grip
Late night typo... should have read "component" not "composite" as that's what I'd like to use... sorry fior the confusion!

Davey_T

Stunt Coordinator
Note that the 1400 only has 2 component inputs. If you want to switch all three sources--your DVD, your XBox and your CATV--you'll need a switcher such as the one mentioned above.

Alternatively, you can use DVI from your cable box to the projector (if available on your cable box) and use the component inputs for your XBox and DVD. That's what I'm planning with the DVI cable I have on order from mycableshop.com.

Unfortunately, I still haven't received my order after 2 weeks, and I can't seem to get anyone over there to give me a tracking number. Hopefully it will arrive soon!

(Side note--has anyone else had problems with mycableshop.com?)

Mark Jolly

Auditioning
I have a PLVZ2 as well and have just received a DVI D cable that operates at the extremes of the recommended length of the process (7.5 meters). I would be very interested to hear what members like Davey_T and others have found. Currently I am running component progressive scan.

Davey_T

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 7.5m cable from Lindy but I got some sparklies. (I think I have a tough situation because the DVI cable runs through the ceiling under some electrical cables, with probably only 4 or 5 inches of clearance.)

I just purchased a 5 meter replacement cable from Lindy and that looks a lot better, with only the occasional sparklies on the movie channels. I don't see any sparklies on a high-quality HD channel such as ESPN or INHD.

Of course, Comcast now has a bug in their HD boxes introduced with their version 7.10 firmware that prevents the DVI output from correctly recognizing the HDCP compatibility of the Z2. I am still waiting for them to correct this issue...

(As a side note, I'd love to hear about anyone who knows when they'll fix this!)

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread