1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

hooking up SACD/DVD-A

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rekkai Steed, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Rekkai Steed

Rekkai Steed Auditioning

I am about to purchase the Pioneer DV-47a model universal DVD player and I heard that to play multichannel SACD and DVD-A I need to hook up 3 RCA cables to my receiver. I was wondering, if I want to play regular DVD movies can I also plug in the digital optical cable. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Michael Cucka

Michael Cucka Stunt Coordinator

Michael Cucka
    Yes -

The multichannel outputs for DVD-A & SACD are analog, so you'll need 3 pairs of RCA plugs to output to your receiver (6 cables all together).

You'll still need your coax/optical digital output for DVD multichannel video (DD/DTS).

Enjoy!

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

4. Rekkai Steed

Rekkai Steed Auditioning

Thanks for your advice guys. This is not my first foray into home theater, but my first SACD/DVD-A player into my home theater. I do have another DVD-A player but it came in a theater in a box, the Panasonic SA-HT800V DVD/VCR combo unit in my living room, so the question I asked in this forum was a moot point. Just something I needed to know. Thanks.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You will be able to listen to movies EITHER via the analog connections or digtial, with both connected. I recommend digital for movies though, since receivers tend to have better bass management.

6. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

I picked up the pioneer 563A last night. I'm getting set to hook everything up tonight. I was in such a hurry to get out of best buy, that I dindt really pay much attention to the cables I picked up until I made it home. I purchased three sets of the monster interlink 100 level cables. I'm wondering if the 200 (additional $7/pkg) or the 300 (additional $13/pkg) would make a significant improvement. I'm having friends over tonight, and would like to show off my new purchase. But I don't want to make an unnecessary trek over to best buy unless I have to. My local store is still full of people returning holiday gifts.

7. Rekkai Steed

Rekkai Steed Auditioning

Quite honestly, the difference between your cables may not make too much difference to you, however for the best possible sound and video, you should run component (I have THX ultra) for video, and for sound run optical for movies and I was going to run interlink 300 for the SACD/DVD-A part, but my wife bought me THX-ultra wires for it. Personally I have never run anything below the 300 wires, so you have to ask yourself, is it worth the $21 or the $39 for the upgrade.

8. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

I forgot to add that I am only using this as a cd player. I have the samsung 931 for my dvd, and I'm running that off a dvi. Would I still need a optical/coax cable for the pioneer if I'm using it strictly for audio?

9. MarkStash

MarkStash Stunt Coordinator

Jarvis_R:

Would be curious to hear how you're liking the Pioneer 563A. I've learned that my new player won't handle DVD-A so I'm looking for a replacement. This model was suggested here in the forums. I know you don't plan to use for DVD but if you tried it I'd be curious about that as well. Finally, how'd the cables work out and what have you bought in the SACD/DVD-A department? Anything you'd recommend?

Thanks-

Mark

10. Rekkai Steed

Rekkai Steed Auditioning

Jarvis

If you are just using for a CD player, then you only need the RCA cables and I would suggest the Interlink 300's.

11. John Garcia

John
    I'm not a big fan of the Interlink cables, even the 300s. The only Monster cable interconnects I have found that I liked were the dual balanced THX ones. If you shop around, you can find them for less than MSRP.

Bang for your buck, I am a fan of Audioquest interconnects.

12. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

Mark,
    I most likely won't even connect the video cables to my set, as I don't really want to shell ouut the extra cash for another set of components. However, I am pretty impressed so far. I only have two SACD's to date (norah jones, and dark side of the moon), but I am on my way to the mall to check out some more as we speak. I'll probably return the cables I bought earlier this week and pick the 300's and some new disks. But I may just order the cables from Ebay for half the price.

John,
    I did a brief search for audioquest connects, and I think that may be a liitle more than I want to spend for my first venture into multi-channel audio. But thanks for the advice.

13. MarkStash

Jarvis:

Picked one up today and have it hooked-up. I bought a couple of SACDs and a couple of DVD-As. I used both digital and analog cables to connect the DVD player. It seems as though the DVD-As play well and I get sound from all 5.1 speakers.

However, the SACDs only play through the main speakers. I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid and I haven't been completely through either the new Denon 3803 or the Pioneer 563A manuals.

It seems like I have the setups on both done correctly and everything else works great (DVDs, DirecTV, etc.) Any ideas?

Mark

14. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Mark, be sure you have the Denon set to Ext. Input so that it's using the 6 analog connections from the DVD player. Also check the SACD material to see if they are just Stereo SACD's or if they are Multi-channel SACD's.

15. John Garcia

John
    Check your player setup, your SACDs may be defaulting to 2ch or even the CD layer.

16. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Jarvis,
    won't you need to connect the video cable to check the player setup?

17. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

Well I finally picked up a DVD-A disc today, Santana - Shaman. Maybe its just the media that I've tried so far, but the SACD's our winning me over as of date. But I'm looking forward to checking out a lot more before I make any decisions.

I also took the 100's back today. I'm most likely going to purchase the 300's or 400's from Ebay. (Anybody know of any other places to find decent deals on these?)

I did have to connect the player to my tv. But its running off the cheap rca's that came with the player. I have it running through the receiver (h/k 525) and into the small pip so I still can't really comment on the picture quality. The six channel audio analogs are also the same cheap cables that came with the numerous dvd/cd players that I have purchased over the last year or so. I know they are really crappy, but they will have to hold me over until the new cables arrive in the mail.

18. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Jarvis,

you have a universal player, what decision is there to make? don't let format loyalty stop you form enjoying the music you like [​IMG]

19. MarkStash

Leo/John:

Thanks-

I have sound from all speakers.....getting close. Now, I can't control the volume....very strange. All play at the same level and nothing will change it - up or down. If I can get this, I think I'm good-to-go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Earlier in the thread, Brian L. pointed to an excellent thread/FAQ that helped....much appreciated.

Mark

20. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Mark,

When you say they all speakers play at the same level, then you'll have to use a SPL meter to adjust each channel. Your player has individual adjusts for each speaker.