Hooking Up SACD and DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Doh, Aug 23, 2003.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

I read in another forum that to hook up these formats, they have to go from the DVD player that supports it directly to each channel on the receiver, and then I guess to the speakers. I'm a newbie in this technology, so even having read that, tell me if the Kenwood VR-7080 will accept SACD and DVD-A connection. Here is the path to a pic of the rear of the 7080...

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...i=4&display=XL

Please explain again how this works. Thanks!

2. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

To play DVD-A and SACD you will need 6 analog audio cables -one cable for each of the six channels (front R and L, center, surround R and L, subwoofer). The analog audio cables connect between the 5.1 output on your DVD player and your receiver.

Both audio formats require an analog connection, so digital connection (optical, coaxial) will not work. DVD-A and SACD are distinct formats, so if you want to be able to play both formats you will need a "universal player." Such players are available at the site you linked to above. One such player is the Onkyo DV-SP800. You will also need to connect the speakers to the receiver with speaker wire.

You can find connection diagrams at the Crutchfield website as well. Check under Crutchfield Advisor and follow the links. Good luck, and have fun!

3. John Doh

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand the basics now. One more quick question though. If I have the analog outputs going to the receiver for the SACD or DVD-A playback feature, can I simultameously have the optical audio out going into the receiver for my DVD movie audio? Or would I have to pick one and make it play everything? Thanks!

4. DaveDickey

John,

Yes, the analog and digital connections are separate and both should be hooked up at the same time. the digital cable will use a different input / output jack than the analog cables.

You will use the optical connection for Dolby Digital and DTS (that includes DTS music disks and regular CD's). You will be able to switch between digital and analog via your remote.

If you are new to SACD and DVD-A, you are in for a big surprise. Just take your time - don't rush. Make sure you do your homework before you buy a particular receiver and / or DVD player. I don't have any particular knowledge about the Kenwood receiver you linked to in your last post. If your receiver has 5.1 channel inputs, you will be able to hook it up to a DVD-A / SACD player.

Also, the Best Buy website has a very good connection diagram. I used it to connect my equipment when I was new to home theater hookup.

Dave

5. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

You can (and probably should) hook up both. Use the optical input for Digital and the set of RCA jacks marked "DVD/6 CH INPUT" for analog. Then you'll just need to set up your receiver to use the source you want for a particular disc:

Set up the DVD audio source (i.e. the "DVD/CD" button on your receiver) to use the digital input and pick another one, say "DVD/6CH" in your case and make that the analog inputs. This way, if you put a DVD-A in and select DVD/CD you won't hear anything but if you switch over to DVD/6CH it will work.

6. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

So would you just use 3 pairs of red/white RCA cables?

7. DaveDickey

Not sure what you mean by "red/white cables." If you are referring to the analog audio cables that came with your DVD Audio player, then yes, you can use them. Most people, but not all, upgrade their cables.
    You can get dozens of different opinions on the merit of upgrading cables. Let your ears and budget decide. bettercables.com sells quality interconnects, and they also help sponsor this site.

8. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

I want no holds barred, cost-no-object, esoteric/exotic connects for the preamp to the player. are bettercables still the way to go?

9. DaveDickey

"I want no holds barred, cost-no-object, esoteric/exotic connects for the preamp to the player. are bettercables still the way to go?"
    ------------------------------------
    Sure.

10. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Hilarious. But I think no.

11. DaveDickey

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer[​IMG]

12. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

What was so stupid about my question? Ok, so I can't really afford crazy cables, but I was wondering what I can dream of affording one day...I heard this dude in Taiwan had one of the world's premier sound systems...where his cabling was solid gold and cost $80 G's alone.

13. John Doh

NicholasL,

I think he is just poking a little fun, don't take it too seriously. As for the solid gold cables or whatever, I thought the more gold, the better sound too. However, after reading another post on these forums a while back, solid gold would not do you any good, and would probably degrade performance. The reason being is that the gold on connections is to keep the leads from corroding over time creating poor sound quality. Gold is supposedly not the greatest conductor of electricity, sound...? Just what I had read, and the guy seemed to know what he was talking about.