What's new

Hooking Up Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder and VCR (1 Viewer)

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I just need to know the best way that people on this forum, that have the Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder, hooked it up to a regular VCR. I am interested on switching over some old VHS home movies over to DVD but the instructions as how to hook up the DVD Recorder to a VCR are sketchy. There is actually a little Warning Box in the instructions that state not to hook the dvd recorder up going through a vcr. If you don't do it that way then how do you do it?? All I wanted to do is to transfer the home videos from the vhs tapes onto the hard drive then from the hard drive to a dvd-r. Any help on how to set up the dvd recorder and vcr to work together to accomplish this would be very helpful. BTW, the vcr is a panasonic but it is an older model from like 1993. I also need to know if that will be a problem.

Thank you,
DF

millercv

Second Unit
I don't know this for a fact but it was probably refering to hooking up the dvd recorder to play through the vcr - DVD outs to VCR ins. That wouldn't work because it would set off the Macrovision copy protection. You should probably just hook the vcr out to DVD in and I bet that would work fine.

Hopefully that makes sense (and I understand what you were asking).

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I have the Panasonic E30 which is the same as yours minus the hard drive. I have converted well over 100 VHS, SVHS and Laserdisc to DVD with excellent results. I connected the Audio / Video, red, white and yellow outputs, on the VCR to the input Audio / Video connections on the E30. This wil give you a composite audio / video hookup. If you prefer you could leave the yellow video cable unhooked and use an S-Video connection.

If you use the A/V on the back of the unit you will be hooking up to either L1 or L3. L2 is on the front of the recorder.

Be careful if you try to copy a commercial VHS that includes copy protection, Macrovision, the recorder will shut off. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks