Hooking Up Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder and VCR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_Fu, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

I just need to know the best way that people on this forum, that have the Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder, hooked it up to a regular VCR. I am interested on switching over some old VHS home movies over to DVD but the instructions as how to hook up the DVD Recorder to a VCR are sketchy. There is actually a little Warning Box in the instructions that state not to hook the dvd recorder up going through a vcr. If you don't do it that way then how do you do it?? All I wanted to do is to transfer the home videos from the vhs tapes onto the hard drive then from the hard drive to a dvd-r. Any help on how to set up the dvd recorder and vcr to work together to accomplish this would be very helpful. BTW, the vcr is a panasonic but it is an older model from like 1993. I also need to know if that will be a problem.

Thank you,
    DF

2. millercv

millercv Second Unit

I don't know this for a fact but it was probably refering to hooking up the dvd recorder to play through the vcr - DVD outs to VCR ins. That wouldn't work because it would set off the Macrovision copy protection. You should probably just hook the vcr out to DVD in and I bet that would work fine.

Hopefully that makes sense (and I understand what you were asking).

3. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I have the Panasonic E30 which is the same as yours minus the hard drive. I have converted well over 100 VHS, SVHS and Laserdisc to DVD with excellent results. I connected the Audio / Video, red, white and yellow outputs, on the VCR to the input Audio / Video connections on the E30. This wil give you a composite audio / video hookup. If you prefer you could leave the yellow video cable unhooked and use an S-Video connection.

If you use the A/V on the back of the unit you will be hooking up to either L1 or L3. L2 is on the front of the recorder.

Be careful if you try to copy a commercial VHS that includes copy protection, Macrovision, the recorder will shut off. Good luck.