What's new

Hooking up new TV to surround sound system existing (1 Viewer)

TJC

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Crowe
ok. I have a Marantz surround sound system existing. My cable box and Blu-ray player are hooked into it. No problem. Last weekend I got a Sony x850D tv new which has functions unto itself to watch tv that has nothing to do with the cable box (like Netflix, Amazon prime, Pandora, etc etc). What I need to know is how to get sound to come out of my surround sound system from the tv. at this point, the new tv is of course connected to my HDMI cable which of course goes into the Marantz system, but when I'm running Netflix (and not the cable box), the only sound that's coming out is from the small speaker located on the tv. I want it coming out of my surround sound. I guess I could buy a high-end set of speakers just for the tv, but why do that? what am I missing here?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Try connecting a an optical cable from the "Optical out" of TV to the "Optical In" on the Marantz. Assuming the connections exist. If they don't you're pretty much SOL. Would be time to get a newer receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What Alf said. However, (again) assuming the connections exist on both TV and receiver, it’s very likely that you won’t get surround sound. TVs typically only pass a 2-channel signal from their digital output, not 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Really, it’s best to get your Netflix et. al. from devices that you can plug directly into your receiver, such as Chromecast, Roku, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How new is the receiver? What is the model?

Assuming you have optical on both, that would be my first choice. The TV also supports ARC which would allow you to get audio back via HDMI (assuming your receiver supports it). While this works, it can be a PITA and it has some limitations on what it can pass back. Both options will pass at least 5.1 to your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks