Hooking up my cable tv to my stereo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewLei, Oct 23, 2001.

1. MatthewLei

MatthewLei Extra

Well, I have a 25inch sharp tv and a cheap 4 speaker stereo. The stereo is has 2 larger speakers and 2 tiny square ones.. I can't even tell theirs sound from those tiny speakers unless I put them up to my ear... Well does anyone have a good idea where I should place the four speakers in my dorm room? The room is about 15 by 12. Also, I want to hook my cable tv into it. How would I go about doing this? My tv has av in and rf in ( the cable tv thing). All I can think of is hooking the cable tv into a vcr then splitting some av wires so the audio goes to the stereo and the video to the video in of the tv. Only problem with this is my vcr remote is gone so I want to be able to change channels on the tv and not be stuck in video mode using the channel switching with the vcr.

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

it dones't sound like a pleasant situation across the board...
    :/

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Matthew,
    Many department stores (like Sears) sell "universal" remotes. They generate the commands for many different models of VCRs, TVs and hifi equipment. They usually cost about $25 or less.
    Most VCRs have separate RF and audio/video outputs. You shouldn't need to split any output connections. Connect the CATV to the VCR's RF input. Connect both the VCR's RF output and video outputs to the TV. Connect the VCR's audio outputs to your stereo. When the VCR is off, the CATV cable signal will go through to the TV and you can use its speaker. When the VCR is on, it can be used as a tuner or to play tapes. Most VCRs can record one channel while passing all channels through to their RF output, too.
    Check to see if your stereo has any way to adjust the volume of the surround speakers separately from the volume of the fronts. Turning them up might help. However, most TV stations don't broadcast a very good surround-sound signal. The premium channels (like HBO and Showtime) are usually much better, but that also depends on how the movie sound was created. Many pop CDs include surround sound, but, like movies, it varies a lot from one title to another.
    The large front speakers should be on either side of the TV. (Hopefully they have magnetic shielding built into them. Otherwise they can mess up the image on the screen.)
    The small surround-sound speakers should be to the side of or somewhat behind and/or above your favorite listening position. They should point toward where you sit.
    I hope this helps a little.
    ------------------
    Selden

4. MatthewLei

MatthewLei Extra

Thanks Seldon. Theres no way to adjust the volume of the two tiny speakers that I know. You can only turn them totally off or on. It's just one of those cheap $150 systems from best buy.. I wish I had time to get a job.. Well for X-mas I'm gonna ask for a better stereo. All I want is more then 2 speakers and higher then the sucky 25 watts this thing has... Are there any good ones for about less ten $300 ?

5. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Matthew,
    I'm sorry, but I really don't know anything about stereos in that price range. BestBuy's web site lists several, but it's hard to tell what features are the ones you want.
    ------------------
    Selden

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

You can buy a volume control for about $25 that's normally used for in-wall applications.
    Hook the speakers to the vol control and then speaker wires to the stereo
    Niles is good or Radio Shack will do
    I might have an extra one I'll sell you for $10 if you want.
    I'll even put it in a blue box for you (what a deal!!!)
    email me if you are interested ...and I will check if you are.
    Grant
    [email protected]
    ------------------
    "My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart