Hooking up home theatre system to digital cable

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Peter W, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

This is my first posting so please bear with me. My home theatre system uses a Sony STR-DE675 receiver. When I play a DVD, the receiver shows a blue multi-channel decoder light to indicate that the Dolby 5.1 signal is being decoded. Shouldn't the blue light also come on (it doesn't) when I am watching a tv movie that is broadcast in Dolby 5.1 digital? I'm thinking I have missed a step hooking the digital tv box up to the receiver and/or the tv. The digital box has outlet plugs for both S-video and digital co-axial audio but neither was used when the cable guy hooked me up. Thanks for any help you can give me. Peter

2. RyanSoares

RyanSoares Stunt Coordinator

you have to use the cable boxes' digital coax output into the recevier's digital coax input

3. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

The digital coax input on my receiver is labeled "DVD/LD". I have tried connecting the cable box to this jack, with a Monster digital coax cable, and nothing happened--no sound at all. Would this setup work if I left the receiver set on "DVD" rather than switching back to the "TV" setting when I am watching cable TV?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Assuming that the digital coax input labeled “DVD/LD” only works when “DVD/LD” is the selected input, then you can’t expect it to work when you’ve selected the “TV” input.

The receiver must have a second digital input for the cable box. This assumes that the digital output on the cable box is functional. I’ve heard that some of them are not.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

on the back of your receiver, you should have some digital inputs? i'm guessing 3 optical and 1 coax?

i'm also assuming your cable-box only has a digital coax output. so, the question is, "what input is labeled next to the coax input on your receiver?" whatever that label is...is the button you need to push in the front of the receiver.

also, not sure about your model, but you may need to go into the menu and ASSIGN the digital input to a particular button.

6. Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus Stunt Coordinator

Could be a couple of things, have you contacted your cable provider to verify your signed up for the Digital 5.1 audio package, I know when I had AT&T/Comcast I had to sign up for this service. I also noticed that the programs that actually produced a 5.1 signal were few and far between, that's probably changed over the last year and a half but worth looking into. Also as the others have stated you need to connect the audio out on the Cable box to a dedicated input on your receiver VID1/VID2 etc..
    You should have plenty of inputs available to you, check and make sure it's assigned properly (Coax,Optical) for proper signal processing if the recevier requires you to do so...

7. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

According to Sony product support, I can use the coaxial "DVD/LD" input jack on the receiver for cable TV, but I must switch the receiver to DVD when I do this. I have asked them whether it matters that I have my DVD connected to the fiber optic "DVD" connection on the receiver, i.e. do I have to disconnect the fiber optic connection when I watch cable TV or will the receiver simply respond to the active signal. Would it be simpler to buy a new receiver that has a digital coaxial input (as well as some upgraded features like Dolby 6.1)? I admit that my receiver was close to the low end when I bought it a couple of years ago.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    So the DVD input is the only one with any kind of digital connection? Most receivers I’ve seen, even at the low end, have at least 2-3 digital inputs, either coaxial or optical or a combination of both.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

peter -

your unit *definitely* has more then one digital input.

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...tr-de675.shtml

all you have to do is send the signal from your cable box to one of the unused inputs on your receiver. whatever that unused input is ... that's the button you push on the front.

look at your receiver for an input called "video1" or "video2".

10. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

First of all, let me say thank you for all the helpful replies. Based on your answers and some additional help from Sony product support, I think I have a plan that may work. Even though my DVD player is hooked to the DVD fiber optic digital input and the TV cable box will be hooked to the coaxial digital input on the receiver, the front of the receiver has a digital input switch that allows the user to choose between "fiber optic", "coaxial" or "automatic". Sony also pointed out that this is covered on p.25 of the owners manuel!

Let me do some hooking up and I'll let you know how it goes. Peter

11. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

Peter one more suggestion, you didnt say what brand/model of cable box you have. On the last two Motorola boxes I used I believe models 5100 and 6208 you had to turn on the digital output in the cable boxes setup screen. Also at one point when I only had one coaxial input I purchased and used a dig coax to optical converter and put the cable box into a optical input on the receiver.

As far as the blue light you wont find many shows with 5.1 digital sound a few on HD channels and a few on HBO/Showtimes (but VERY FEW). But the cable box should send all audio via the digital connection even the analog stereo.