What's new

Hooking up DVD player to digital receiver basic question (1 Viewer)

Cory O

Auditioning
If I'm going to hook up my dvd player to my new digital receiver using the optical cable for surround sound, does this connection still need to be the one I use for normal music? I had heard at one time it was best to hook up the rca cables to listen to CD's. I didn't know if this advice was still valid.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
That information is false. Your optical cable is the preferred method. One thing to consider is switching your receiver into stereo mode when listening to music since many people associate the optical cables with 5.1 sound.

Hope this helps.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Perry, I disagree a bit on this. I would recommend hooking up via optical and analog. That way you can compare to see which sounds best for 2-channel music.

When listening via the optical you will be hearing your receiver's DAC's (digital to analog converters). When listening via the analog cables you will be hearing your DVD players's DAC's. One or the other may perform best on stereo music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks