hooking up dvd player and xbox to reciever

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BradleyS., Oct 3, 2004.

1. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into getting my first reciever but I have a few concerns with the number of component inputs. I like the yamaha rx-v1400/1500 recievers. I have an xbox with monster component cables, but to use surround you need the optical cable. Do I have to run my component cables to the reciever along with the optical cable or can I just use the optical cable to the reciever and my components straight to my TV? Same thing with the denon dvd-1910, the yamaha doesnt have a dvi input on the back so i assume you just run an optical to the reciever?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You run your video straight to the TV and the audio to the reciever.

If you dont have enough optical inputs, Radio Shack sells a $25 converter that will change the optical to coaxial digital.

3. Tom(F)

Tom(F) Auditioning

Bob, so your're saying run the monster video to TV and monster audio to receiver? If so, how are these cables supposed to reach...are there extentions to add to the monster cables?

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

There may be a disconnect between your question and the response you got. You run your video component cables (red/blue/green) from xbox or dvd directly to tv. You then either run an optical (sound) cable from dvd/xbox to receiver. That is probably the cheapest way and very efficient.

You can also run regular composite sound cables (the red and white) from xbox/dvd to receiver, but the optical is what you want for surround. Said another way, you don't need the red/white composite hookup anymore. You can also run your component video cables through most receivers to help with easy switching -- one click on the remote to xbox will change both video and sound. If you don't run xbox video through receiver, you have two clicks and likely two remotes -- one to change tv video to xbox, one to change receiver sound to xbox. If you don't mind doing it that way, you do save the money you would spend on another set of component cables (xbox to receiver, then receiver to tv) which can be expensive as you know.