Hooking Up DLS10 to HK 525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mathew Shelby, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I am using my boyfriend's account to try and figure out how to hook up the sub I bought for his birthday. Can anyone please help a girl (who is not electronically/mechanically inclined) set up the DLS10 on his Harman Kardon AVR525 receiver. Speak slow....assume I have no idea what I am doing. Also what adjustments do I need to make to the receiver? Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Anyone? He will be coming back this weekend and I want to have it all set up for him.

3. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

Back of his AVR525 should have a RCA output for SUBWOOFER OUT.

Back of the DLS should have two RCA INPUTS (L and R).

Connect the above to each other (you should have a long cord w/ a Y connector on one end).

I'm not sure exactly what the DLS controls look like, but it should have a Volume or Gain. Turn it down all the way left.

It should have a Cross Over Frequency knob. You can just set it at 100 HZ (should be straigt up and down). He'll need to tune it to his system; in my system I have the X over VERY low because I have my front speakers set down near 150 Hz and just want my sub to concentrate on lower frequencies. FYI: the cross over frequency is basically the highest frequency that the subwoofer will play.

Turn on the subwoofer.

Trun on the receiver. Play some something that has low frequencies (R&B music works well). Turn the volume up on the sub until it sounds good to you.

You're done.

Didn't this come with instructions or a set up disc?

4. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Note that you probably don't need a Y-connector. A single mono audio cable, composite video cable, or "subwoofer cable" should be sufficient. Just connect one end to the subwoofer output on the AVR525, and the other end to one of the inputs on the rear of the DLS subwoofer.

Having said that, though... a Y-connector certainly won't hurt anything. So if you've already hooked up the sub using such a connector, don't worry.