Hooking up DirecTV system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Nov 9, 2002.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I installed my dish today and am not getting any signal strength. As far as I can tell, its hooked up correctly (coaxial from the dish to the reciever in the house) and the dish is aimed in the general direction of where its supposed to be, so I'm assuming I should be getting some kind of signal...even a weak one, but I am not getting anything. Any ideas why? Is there something I missed?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I take it this is your first time, and if it is, a 'general' direction won't cut it here. These 'sats' are a little bit further away than an OTA antenna.

You can be off by 1/4" and get nothing, and having a compass is almost a must. Having someone within earshot that can watch the TV helps a lot too, and make sure you are on the right menu before you start.

For my first try, I had the up/down adjustment off because I wasn't using the right marker on the dish, and even after that, matching the compass point wasn't easy either. A real challange, but rewarding too.

Glenn

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize you'd get nothing by being 1/4" off. I figured being in the general direction would get me a few points of strength and I could have someone move it and I could watch the TV while they adjusted the dish. I will get a compass tomorrow and see exactly where its supposed to be. The up/down tilt seems weird to me too....mine is 51 degrees but wouldn't that change depending on where you mount the dish? Some people put it on their roof, my mounting bracket is about 6 feet off the ground. Again, thanks for the help....we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

As for the up/down, I couldn't get into the higher math classes at school, but think that isn't as critical because you're basically just getting closer to the sat. [​IMG]
    I have an elliptical dish and that marker was a notch in the metal near the slot that the both slid (up and down) through, but with the light I had, I didn't see it at first, and to say I was pissed at myself was putting it mildly.
    Just to double-check too. You have the rubber gasket that fits over the end of the 'F' connector in place. The last thing you want is water running through the inside of your cable. It might not short, but in time the cable will rot.
    Glenn