Hooking up Component cables to my 50hdx82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GregZ, Oct 7, 2002.

1. GregZ

GregZ Agent

Ok, I will have my DVD and hd reciever going into the tv via component cables. My Denon 3801 has room for two in and one out of component cables.

Is there any reason to go through the receiver?

I ask because I'll have to go buy an extra set of wires and they arent cheap!
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Well, you'll get video switching through your receiver, which is a convenience. Otherwise, when you change inputs, you'll have to change the receiver and the TV both. But that's it for the reasons I know to do it. (I don't use my receiver for video switching, but prefer to go directly from source to TV, just to prevent an electron or two from getting lost.)

Jan

3. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

A lot of people will tell you to go directly to the TV with component cables so you don't lose any signal strength. You probably won't notice the diffence, but then again you might. If you go through your receiver then you don't have to switch inputs on the TV and receiver, just the receiver. So, from a convinience standpoint, going through the receiver is the way to go. In the end though, it's all about preference; convinience vs. quality.
    Also, one way around the expensive cables (I'm going to get ripped by somebody for this [​IMG] ) is to buy three matched composite video cables and label them as R-G-B and just use them. They're the same cables as component, just cost a heckuva lot less.
    Joey

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Huh?
    Both of you said you wont have to change inputs on the TV and receiver, just the receiver if he goes through the receiver.
    How so? If you're on "cable TV" you have to change to "Video 1" if that's your receiver->TV component input, then you have to turn your receiver on and change it to Video 1.
    If you go directly to your TV, you still have to change your TV set to video 1 (dvd player plugged in directly), and turn your receiver on to whateveryou plugged the coaxial/optical audio cable into.
    You don't save anything other than the re routing of the connection.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have the same Toshi and I do find it a pain to switch through inputs on that set. It displays the entire list of inputs even though you may not be using them all and the cycling through inputs is a little slow for my tastes. You may find it easier to use the Denon.

I would say, pipe it through the Denon, if you don't like it, you can always go get another cable and connect to the TV directly.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Greg: there was a paper floating around about a year ago that said that many receivers did not have the bandwidth to correctly switch HD/Progressive signals. They were designed for a max frequency of about 4 Mhz - component video. But progressive goes up to about 12 Mhz, and true HD can go as high as 35 Mhz.

Only in the last year have the models been designed to handle the higher frequencies.

I'm not familar with the 3801 specs, but make sure it can do "HD Switching" before you try going through the receiver.

And while Joey B is correct: Component cables are simply 3 composite cables joined together, most of these were designed for component-video frequencies.

Think of asphalt. The asphalt on the freeway is very similar to the asphalt in front of your house. But the freeway was designed to handle 50-70 mph cars & trucks. The stuff in front of a house was designed for 25 mph cars. It was build a bit differently because of this. Cables are similar. I highly suggest buying cables designed for the signals you are using.

Hit the "Tweeks, Connections, ..." fourm for lots of links to sites that will sell you good, HD capable cables for a budget price.

Hope this helps.

8. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I use Recoton/AR component cables. They cost about $25 for a 12' set, and they're nice and heavy.

Jan

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I use cheap RG-6 [​IMG] and I can't tell the difference between my current short run AR and the 33ft custom ones. 3 composite cables is the same as a component run as already mentioned above. Anyway, the reasons for video switching via the receiver mentioned here are good ones. Read this...
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...305#post564305
    in the FAQ area also.

10. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I got the 65HDX82, and I wanted to switch component through my Yammie RX-V3200, for the X-Box and my DV-player. I've done it. But after recalibrating with Avia, I had to crank the color setting on the TV from 42 to 79 to get the same PQ!!!! The picture was not the same anymore. So I came back to connecting directly the DVD-player to the TV, and no switching for me.

I was using really good cables, so it's really an amp issue.

So I play the X-Box on my Sony Wega 27 inches now...

11. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor