1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hooking up Aura Bass shakers most effeciently?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I recently picked up 4 Aura Bass shakers (25watt version) and was wondering if anyone could offer their advice with hooking them up. You see, I have an old 140 watt Sony Pro Logic receiver with 5 channels each at 8 ohms. I don't think a single channel would be enough to power 2 shakers efficiently, so how would I go about hooking each shaker to a separate channel while having them run at 4 ohms? I do have an alternative method to hook up 2 of the shakers, however, there are problems that I don't know how to work around. Perhaps someone would know what to do ( link to thread )...
    Also, I hear that the effect is much greater if you have the shakers not only on the sub out/LFE channel, but also on all of your speaker channels... of course I don't have any first hand experience with this, so perhaps someone could try this out?

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The shakers do make a heck of a difference and add to the enjoyment of watching a movie, I've just upgraded to the pros so perhaps I can help you with your setup. First of all, those 25 watt shakers don't need much more wattage than 25 watts. You receiver may be a little much for them. Try hooking each pair in series to create an 8 ohm load and see what happens. Make sure they are in phase as they will cancel each other out very easily.
    ------------------

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

BTW, I ended hooking my Auras to the LFE only after some trial and error. Hooking to the headphone jack or speaker out just sends too much signal to them.
    ------------------

4. John H

John H Second Unit