Hooking up Aura Bass shakers most effeciently?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I recently picked up 4 Aura Bass shakers (25watt version) and was wondering if anyone could offer their advice with hooking them up. You see, I have an old 140 watt Sony Pro Logic receiver with 5 channels each at 8 ohms. I don't think a single channel would be enough to power 2 shakers efficiently, so how would I go about hooking each shaker to a separate channel while having them run at 4 ohms? I do have an alternative method to hook up 2 of the shakers, however, there are problems that I don't know how to work around. Perhaps someone would know what to do ( link to thread )...
    Also, I hear that the effect is much greater if you have the shakers not only on the sub out/LFE channel, but also on all of your speaker channels... of course I don't have any first hand experience with this, so perhaps someone could try this out?

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The shakers do make a heck of a difference and add to the enjoyment of watching a movie, I've just upgraded to the pros so perhaps I can help you with your setup. First of all, those 25 watt shakers don't need much more wattage than 25 watts. You receiver may be a little much for them. Try hooking each pair in series to create an 8 ohm load and see what happens. Make sure they are in phase as they will cancel each other out very easily.
    ------------------

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

BTW, I ended hooking my Auras to the LFE only after some trial and error. Hooking to the headphone jack or speaker out just sends too much signal to them.
    ------------------

4. John H

John H Second Unit