Hooking up a sub to my rears...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MichaelPR, Jan 1, 2004.

1. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Hey everyone! I should have an SVS PCi 20-39 coming tomorrow or Monday. I am going to have a left over Sony SW-MA 20 left over after I'm done hooking up my SVS. My system currently consists of Paradigm Titans up front a CC-170 in the center and Bose 201 Direct reflectors in the back. The Bose sound extremely tinny to me as fronts. I'd love to get new surrounds but I really can't afford it after picking up the SVS. If I hooked up the Sony Sub to the surrounds with the speaker level inputs would this help in the sound of the surrounds? If I did this would I set my surrounds to large on my receiver? Also if I placed the sub it would be directly behind the couch we view from. It would however not be sandwiched between the couch and the wall? Should I add the sub or will it not make match of a difference with the SVS? Thanks in advance!

2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

It's worth a try. Just set the subs crossover as high as it will go and it should help fill out the sound.

3. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Anyone else try this or can offer anymore input??

4. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

I had a powered sub connected to my rears for a while, and it sounded o.k., but not like I had expected. IMO I'de just stay with the rears by themselves. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

I asked this question a while ago on this forum and the answer I received was 'no.' The reason being that there are generally one or two good spots in a room to place a sub where the sub sounds level (where the sub doesn't create huge nodes and anti-nodes in the sound.) No-one who replied had anything good to say about attaching a sub to the rears.

too bad...I have two spare DefTech PF-15TL+s I could use for my surround and surround backs[​IMG]

If you think it will help, try it out. You can always remove it later.