What's new

Hooking up a receiver to a tv (1 Viewer)

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Hi-I just bought a new tv and I didn't bother to check but the stupid thing doesn't have any audio out components. Is there any way to hook my stereo receiver to this tv? I couldn't believe they would make a tv this way. Well if anyone has any ideas please post. Thank you.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Could you give us the model of the TV, and what kind of input you'll be using (antenna/basic cable/digital cable-with a box-/satellite?)

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the info: It is a Sanyo DS20425 20 inch tv and I have it hooked up to basic cable with rf. This is what the tv has: audio/video input(in back and one in front)
It has a component hookup also. I have my Onkyo dvd player hooked up by s-video and also by rca jacks to my
JVC receiver. My previous tv was an 8 year old Sanyo and it had audio out on it. Are all new tvs made this way? Mainly what I want to hook this up to my receiver is for private listening since the tv doesn't have a headphone jack either. Well, if you have any ideas please somebody let me know. When I called Sanyo, they said noway that it can be done. How about a Bose music system or Cambridge music system-could you hook something like that up to the tv? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Why not hook the dvd player and cable box audio outs directly to the receiver instead of running them through the tv in the first place?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Right, if you have a reciever, only hook video to the TV and sound through the reciever. For OTA broadcast and cable without a box this mean using at min a stereo hi-fi VCR for tuner duties.

I don't think there is any other way if it does not have an audio out.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I wasn't too clear. I have the video on the dvd player hooked up through s-video on the tv and I have the audio on the dvd player hooked up to the receiver by rca cables. I appreciate all your help and advice. I think I might keep it the way it is for now. I have noticed that my old tv(an 8 year old Sanyo!!) created a buzzing sound through my receiver that I don't have now. Sometimes when you get something new it takes a while to get used to it.
Again, thank you very much.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
You were clear. I was just wondering why you don't have the audio from the cable box going to the receiver as well. Wouldn't that accomplish what you are trying to do?

Edit - I think I understand: "basic cable." So you're not using a cable box? You can try the vcr outs if you have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks