Hooking up a PS2 to my TV... questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SimonKing, May 14, 2002.

1. SimonKing

SimonKing Auditioning

Jan 31, 2002

Well, with the price drop I am planning on getting a PS2. However, I have a couple of quick questions about hooking it up to my television (a 36" Sony WEGA KV-36FS16).

My DVD player is currently hooked up via the component cables. I've read that hooking the PS2 that way is the best choice. How would I go about doing that though? Do I need a switcher box? If so, which one?

Also, and this applies to using the S video hookup too if I choose to do it that way, which video channel will the PS2 use? My DVD player used Video 4 both with the S video and component cables. Will I have any conflict with the DVD player? Anyone have a set up similar to mine and know how it works?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Oct 30, 2001
    My FV series WEGA (32") has four video inputs. I have my PS2 hooked up directly to my television via the one component video connection, and my dreamcast hooked up to one of the two S-video inputs. I do not use a switcher box. In fact, the only special item I bought was a RCA cable splitter that allowed me to route my Dreamcast audio through a different channel on my receiver.

You can buy a connector for your PS2 in both component and S-video variety. One end fits into your ps2 and the other end directly into the television. The monster cable versions are a waste of money (way too expensive).. you can find component and s-video cables for your ps2 from Sony at Fry's for much, much cheaper ($15 as opposed to $80).