Hooking up a PS2 to my TV... questions.

SimonKing

Auditioning
Hi all,

Well, with the price drop I am planning on getting a PS2. However, I have a couple of quick questions about hooking it up to my television (a 36" Sony WEGA KV-36FS16).

My DVD player is currently hooked up via the component cables. I've read that hooking the PS2 that way is the best choice. How would I go about doing that though? Do I need a switcher box? If so, which one?

Also, and this applies to using the S video hookup too if I choose to do it that way, which video channel will the PS2 use? My DVD player used Video 4 both with the S video and component cables. Will I have any conflict with the DVD player? Anyone have a set up similar to mine and know how it works?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Simon

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Simon,

My FV series WEGA (32") has four video inputs. I have my PS2 hooked up directly to my television via the one component video connection, and my dreamcast hooked up to one of the two S-video inputs. I do not use a switcher box. In fact, the only special item I bought was a RCA cable splitter that allowed me to route my Dreamcast audio through a different channel on my receiver.

You can buy a connector for your PS2 in both component and S-video variety. One end fits into your ps2 and the other end directly into the television. The monster cable versions are a waste of money (way too expensive).. you can find component and s-video cables for your ps2 from Sony at Fry's for much, much cheaper ($15 as opposed to $80).

Also, and this applies to using the S video hookup too if I choose to do it that way, which video channel will the PS2 use? My DVD player used Video 4 both with the S video and component cables.
Which of your Video signals has the component inputs (the three RGB plugs)? Your WEGA should have at least 2 S-Video inputs.

With S-video, the colors on my PS2 games and DVD playback were little more 'vibrant' and bright, but I prefer component, because the colors seem truer (albeit a little muted).

Hope this helps,

Joseph

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex