Hooking up a New Velodyne Sub (for dummies)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cynthia Binder, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Cynthia Binder

Got a great deal on a Velodyne HGS-18 from a dealer going out of business. Never had a sub before and I cannot understand what the manual is saying about hookup...

I have a B & K AVR307 receiver. It appears that the only place to hook the sub up on the receiver is the output for powered speakers marked sub. Does this sound right?

What I don't understand is whether to use a line level or speaker level connection. I assume it is speaker level since I have the receiver, not an amp. For speaker level, the manual is showing a diagram with 2 inputs for both left and right. Don't understand why. It also shows running wires from the sub to the back speakers. I am using B&W 803s for the front and B&W 805s for the rear along with a B&W center. Not really interested in sending a signal to the rears from the sub if I don't have to. I mainly listen to music, but am working on getting a full home theatre set up.

I have a large room with RG-6 in the wall in several locations, so planned on using RCA connectors for hookup for the sub. Will this work? What do I need to hookup?

Any thoughts on the easiest way to hook this up will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Cynthia

2. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Cynthia, its actually a lot simpler than it seems.

What you need to do is take a standard subwoofer cable (which uses RCA plugs), plug one end into the back of the 307 (use the ZA audio out SUB, if it looks the same as the AVR507) and one end into the back of the sub (use the RCA "input", and usually the left or white jack is used with a single cable).

Test it in an easy location before you decide for sure where to put it. Also, make sure in the menus on the AVR307 you have it set so that the subwoofer is turned on. You may have to play with the settings after this too, as an example, my Denon has an LFE+Main or LFE only setting, things like that.

Hope that helps!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You want to use the line-level hookup.

Use some RG6 coax, put "F" connectors on the end, then go to Radio Shack and buy some "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors.

Find the corner with the 2 longest, un-broken walls and plan to place the subwoofer here. Move it 3/5 along the longest wall to start. (Finding the perfect place for a sub takes some effort, but this will start you out close).

In your receiver, you need to do some things:

- Tell your receiver that you DO have a subwoofer
    - Tell your receiver that all your other speakers are SMALL.

- On the sub, you may have a dial called "frequency" or "crossover". Turn it to it's HIGHEST setting.

This will make the reciever send all sounds below about 120hz to the sub.

You still need to get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and a Radio Shack SPL meter to get the subwoofer to produce a similar volume to your L/R speakers. (Your reciever has a internal "LFE Level" that lets you adjust just the subwoofer).

Our Primer/FAQ at the top of the basics section has a lot of good information about use of the SPL meter, and I think, subwoofer placement.

Hope this helps.

4. Cynthia Binder

Thanks for the advice!

I did run 2 lines of RG-6 to the locations I set up for the sub when we remodelled. The sub has inputs for left and right, but I do not see 2 outputs on the receiver (it is set up like Owen said).

So do I only use one line? If so, where do I plug it in -- left or right on the sub? Does this pick up the full signal from the receiver?

There is also a high-pass crossover switch that says 100 Hz or 80 Hz. Any ideas on which to use?

For a $$$ sub, the manual does not have any info on setup.
    :-(

Thanks!
    Cynthia

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Cynthia, you are almost always safe to use just one cable, and generally people use the left input. Sometimes you can get a "Y" cable that splits the signal into both, which may do nothing, or may "sum" the inputs and get louder. Its really not neccessary though.

As far as the crossover, if your receiver is sending the signal from the sub out, it will already be crossed over (wherever you have it set in the receiver menus) so you are best to either a) disable the sub crossover if possible, or b) use the highest setting on the sub and then set the appropriate one with the receiver.