Hooking up a new receiver (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rick bie, Oct 28, 2002.

1. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

Well I did it I bought a Denon 1803 receiver and now I have to hook it up. Following is my equipment:
    Receiver - Denon 1803
    CD player - Pioneer PD-F505
    VHS VCR - Magnavox OSD
    Satellite receiver -Dishnet(I forget the model#)
    TV - Zenith SR3587DT
    The DVD and the CD player are no brainers, it just that the TV has 2 cable/antenna inputs and 1 cable/antenna output to act as a loop out for feeding back to a decoder. It also has 3 RCA jacks for Video 1 in(R,L,video), 3 RCA jacks for Video 2 in(R,L,video), 3 RCA jacks for Video 1 out(R,L,video), 3 inputs for S-video in(R,L,s video) and 2 RCA jacks for variable audio output(L,R).
    The Denon has everything video and audio as far as I can tell, I just don't know should I put any video to the receiver or will there be degradation and should the satellite receiver go directly to the denon or to the VCR first. It just seems that all the manuals contradict each other as to hooking up and I am worried that what I have hooked up so far seems OK but could be set up better. Also I have a Beta VCR I would like to include if possible in the system. Don't laugh[​IMG]

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I would hook the video...dvd sat and vcr straight into the tv; svideo where possible and the analog R&Ls
    Hook the digital audio (cd & dvd) into the denon
    if you have 2 outs from the sat, send one into the vcr (the other to the tv. bypass the vcr rf out...you generally get only a mono out and video degrades
    The beta you can hook it up to the 2nd RF input into the tv
    email me if you have any questions
    grant

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I agree with Grant, hook everything you can from the component directly into the TV and then just hook the audio out from TV into the Denon 1802. If you ever get a DVD in there, you might want to hook an audio Toslink or Dig Coax directly into the receiver for 5.1 sound, for now just jump the audio through the TV.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rick,

Personally I don’t find Grant’s or Joe’s recommendations very appealing.

A lot of HT buffs like hooking things up the way Grant recommends, sending all video signals to the TV and all audio signals to the Denon receiver. It works well, but each time you use a source you have to change the input on the TV as well as the receiver. Most “newbies” tend to find this inconvenient.

Joe’s recommendation is somewhat simpler, but the thing I don’t like is that for all video sources (except DVD) it unnecessarily adds the TV’s audio section to the signal chain. Since their primary function is video, a lot of TVs have questionable audio circuitry that is noisy and/or less than clean. Typically a VCR’s audio section is far superior to a TV’s, so I prefer to use a VCR for any TV audio.

If you’re interested in ease-of-operation and the cleanest analog audio signals, my recommendation is to connect all audio and video signals directly to the Denon, then send the Denon’s “Monitor Out” signal to an input on the TV. This will give you one-bottom source selection – i.e., selecting the desired source on the Denon remote will get you both audio and video.

If you want to watch some satellite programming without having the TV on, you can send an antenna cable from the sat receiver to the TV. Tune the TV to channel 3 or 4 to get the sat programming.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Wayne
    I had my setup like you sugested; all going through my Sony 9000ES Preamp and it worked fine. When I got my new XBR TV with 6 inputs, I hooked up all the sources directly. It eliminated quite a few cables and my wife found it much easier to use.
    rick, either way is valid. One you need to change the input on the Denon the other way you change the input on the TV.
    Good Luck either way
    Grant