What's new

Hooking up a Klipsch KSW-15 to a Denon 2802 (1 Viewer)

Linus

Auditioning
I purchased a KSW-15 last night for my HT. I've got a Denon 2802 that i'll be hooking it up to today.

I'm wondering how exactly i should hook it up to the receiver. There seems to be two different ways to do so. First there are pass through speaker wires where you can run your Front channels into the sub, then run the output into the front speakers.

Then their is the Subwoofer single RCA output LFE jack. From what i understand is the LFE ONLY sends bass special effects of a 5.1 encoded movie to the subwoofer, but nothing else during the play of normal CD's, TV, VHS, and regular DVD's?

So it seems the best way is to hook up both? My other question is do i use the Front or Rear speaker output from the receiver to go into the subwoofer? Also i have a "b" selection from the receiver with an extra set of terminals. Is this intended for the subwoofer? Or just for using a second set of speakers in general.

I've noticed reading the post here that you should set the speakers to "Small", which will only send bass signals to the subwoofer. But will it only send that signle to a LFE? Does this only work on 5.1+ solution and not normal TV or Music? I'm just wondering how it deciphers the signal it the sub is hooked up to the front/rear channel.

Thanks for any and all answers, i'd really appreciate any guidance because i'm new at this. I know car audio in and out, but setting up home audio is a bit different and i just want to do it right!

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
The subwoofer/lfe output will transmit all bass material,normal and lfe to the sub - set all other speakers to small

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Use just the LFE RCA jack. Set all your speakers to small. The receiver takes care of the rest. Anything below the crossover will be sent to the sub, from any speaker, from any source.

Linus

Auditioning
Thanks a lot guys. I did it this morning and it sounds great. The problem i was having originally was that i didn't set the speakers to Small. I left them at Large and it didn't output unless using 5.1+ audio. Now it's working perfect!!
One odd thing though. Do you have to set the subs volume to 10? I noticed if i plugged the "Multizone" RCA's in the sub's RCA in, it gets louder than it does if it's plugged into the LFE RCA. The downside is that you cannot control the volume of the sub if it's connected to the multizone.
It gets plently loud via the LFE, but i just noticed the small discrepency and thought i'd ask :)

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Don't connect to multi zone. That is for another room completley. The difference in output is from some other seting in the receiver. Check the sub level in the receiver. Check to make sure you don't have a night mode or other compression on.

You probably need to calibrate your system with Avia or Video essentials. That will help you get it just right.

Scott*E

Stunt Coordinator
Turn the subwoofer up enough so you get a good strong amount of bass but you don't wan't it to overpower the rest of your speakers. It should blend in seamlessly with them.

Linus

Auditioning
Yeah i know what the MultiZone is for, i just wanted to see how the sub functioned when hooked up to RCA vs LFE RCA. It just seemed more powerful. I think i've got everything working pretty good now. I was watching parts of Gladiator and ToyStory 2 :)
I went through and adjusted the settings and did it as well as i can with just my ears. Trying to have it blend into the rest of the system.
I need to pick up Avia somewhere. Anyone know a good place to get it online? What are the difference between it and the VE? Whats the preference around here?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
You got more out in the "multizone" because that would be sending the full signal to teh sub, you don't want to do that! You would be getting everything under your crossover on the sub at that point. And if you had your crossover off you could damage the sub.

Peter Bossman

Auditioning
I guess my ears are different.
The KSW-15 allows for LFE input as well as line input. I'd suggest using both. When all I used was the LFE, it seemed that my CDs didn't have the bass I wanted.
I ran the LFE and the line outputs from my 3802 to the KSW-15.
I've also found that keeping the speaker setting to large and using the LFE+Main setting works best for me. Maybe I'm just a bass junkie. Then again, maybe I'm just a ding-a-ling who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about;)
I'm still trying to tweak my system. I'm still not happy with the bass for music CDs. The bass for movies will rattle your neighbor's walls though.
Of course, YMMV!

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Turn the subwoofer up enough so you get a good strong amount of bass but you don't wan't it to overpower the rest of your speakers. It should blend in seamlessly with them."
Scott,
That's a decent, basic way to calibrate your system...but since you are now a "True HT geek" hanging with us at HTF, you will need to learn true calibration techniques.
Linus,
Before you get AVIA or VE, you MUST get an SPL meter from one of your friends or at Radio Shack. It's the ultimate tool in your HT tool box. Retail is $35 for the analog version (which I prefer to the digital). You can use your pink noise test tones inside the receiver to start with, but AVIA or Video Essentials is what you will ultimately want to calibrate your video and sound.
It's a bit tougher to balance the sound of a 5/7.1 channel system than the old days of stereo and balance knobs. Don't turn your sub up all the way, no matter how enticing it is...You'll be amazed at how low the LFE channel level is with calibration. I, too, have a KSW-15. Turn the gain on the back of your sub up about 75% (3o'clock) and calibrate from there. This has worked best for me. FYI, calibrated at 75db, my channel level (in the receiver) is at about -2.:)
If you take the time to calibrate your levels correctly, you will hear what the director and sound engineer intended. And don't worry...the bass will not lack on a heavy low-end film:)
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks