Hooking up a driver with no box - ok?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt:Brunmeier, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Matt:Brunmeier

Matt:Brunmeier Stunt Coordinator

I'm not really sure which forum is best for this question, so I'll throw it out here.

Is it possible to hurt a speaker by hooking it up without a box? I mean, obviously you can blow it the same way that you normally could, but does it hurt the speaker to just not be in the box?

The reason I ask is that I just got my Selenium 15CO1P (don't remember the exact model # off hand, something like that) and I really really want to hook one up and fiddle a little bit, but I can't build boxes for a few months.

I've done this before, but only with speakers that I really didn't care about. Didn't seem to hurt them. I know that it won't sound very good outside the box, I just want to hook it up for fun.

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Yes, it is fine, ***BUT***

You could EASILY over-extend the woofer (too much excursion - aka, cone movement) because there is NO RESISTANCE with the woofer out in the open. Boxes, even ported ones, provide some resistance of the cone moving in and out.

Go ahead and play, but if the woofer is moving a lot (lots of cone movement), just stop.