hooking up a CrownXLS-202 HELP!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt:Brunmeier, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Matt:Brunmeier

Matt:Brunmeier Stunt Coordinator

All right, I'm trying to hook up a pair of subs in boxes to my new Crown XLS-202. The amp only takes XLR inputs, which (clearly) my receiver doesn't have.

I have a Harman Kardon AVR-635.

I'm trying to split the Subwoofer output into two XLR connections. Should this work, in theory? I know I can't expect it to be balanced like XLR, but it'd still carry a signal wouldn't it?

Help! I really don't want to have to get an equalizer to play with this stuff.

In summary, how would I hook up a Crown XLS-202 Amplifier to my Harman Kardon receiver in order to drive my sub?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, it will work. Go to a guitar shop and see if they have some RCA to XLR connectors.

Is this a low-end Crown amp? The reason I ask is that you hardly ever see a pro amp without a “stereo/parallel/bridge” switch on the back. If it had one, in “parallel” mode you’d be able to drive both channels from a single input – i.e., no splitters needed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Matt:Brunmeier

Here's what I have going:

Harman Kardon AVR 635
    /
    Subwoofer Out to an RCA Splitter
    /
    2xRCA to XLR cable
    /
    Crown XLS-202

I think this is an issue with the RCA to XLR stuff. RCA is unbalanced and XLR is balanced, it seems like that could be a major problem. I figured I would lose the balance, but I'm only going a foot so i wasn't worried about it. Now it seems like it might not work at all.

The amp is 2 channels @ 200w/4ohms each. I could run it bridged but I don't want to (I have two subwoofers). In order to drive both channels separately it needs separate inputs for both - that's why I'm splitting the signal.

4. Matt:Brunmeier

all right, I got it.

It only works with Dolby stuff, not the 5 Ch Stereo, and I had to set up the LFE so that it worked together with the Front L&R Channels, since I have all my speakers set to large.