Hooking sub to Audio Out

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Adil M, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I made a mistake and hooked a sub to my uncle's Grand Wega (speakers must not be visible.)
    Unlike my parent's Sony the Audio Out only functions w/ Speakers turned off. What is the easiest way to get around this? Is there anything in the menu (service even) to fix this? He wants to augment his TV sound w/ the subwoofer.
    I was going to just buy him a receiver to go w/ it, but he has no space in his cabinet. I need some advice here. Thanks.

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Bueller...

3. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Adil,

I know nothing about the TV or how to bypass the interrupted signal when Line out is used.

If the sub's amp has an adjustable low pass filter, I suppose you could send the Audio out (L/R/mono?) to the sub's Line-in and then hook up a couple of small speakers to the speaker-level outs and put them somewhere out of sight (if they really musn't be visible [​IMG])

Personally, I don't recommend this, but something like this might work, I suppose. Don't think it would be much worse than TV speakers with a sub.

JKS

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Look in the setup menu, you may be able to change the audio output. Sometimes the "fixed" and "variable" audio out affects whether you can have the speakers on the TV on at the same time, as well, there may be a setting for "on, off, or both". If this is not the case, a receiver or a cheap used pre/pro may be the only way.

How about using a VCR to pass the audio? Then the sub would only function when the VCR is on.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I may just use some y-adapter RCA's into the sub and back out. That might be a messy fix, I'll try it at work.
    Thanks everyone.

PS. It's Adil not Advil, Wayne [​IMG].