What's new

Hooking speakers up to HK AVR 120 (probably an receiver), have some newbie questions (1 Viewer)

Jay_Williams

Auditioning
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, so be kind :)
I ordered a harman kardon AVR 120 off the internet a few days ago, it will be my first receiver I have owned. I have a few questions on hooking the speakers wires to it.
The back does not look like it has spring loaded clips, how do I attach the speaker wires to them? Banana clips? I just want to make sure I have everything when it comes :)
Also, the receiver puts out 50w (which I have heard is conservatively rated), and my speakers handle 100w, so which guage wire should I use? Wires to the front speakers will be about 10ft, rear speakers about 15-20ft And, can anyone recommend a decent quality, fairly cheap wire?
Thanks for helping out a newbie! :D

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Virtually every binding post I've seen on receivers will allow the connection of bare wire. Banana plugs or spades might be easier, but you can use bare wire. You'll likely just unscrew the post a bit, push the bare wire through or around the center post and tighten the post back down.

HK receivers have a good reputation around here for power output. Don't worry about the 50 watt rating.

The usual wire suggestion is 12 to 14 gauge and the cheap stuff at Home Depot works just fine.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the 120 has binding post so just stripe the wire twist and unscrew the post, insert the wire, and tighten it down. I use monster cable XP speaker wire, its 30 bucks for 50 ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks