Hooking same surrounds to two different receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick_S, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Nick_S

Nick_S Auditioning

I have a dilemma...my room situation is causing me to use two different receivers (one for my TV and the other for my projector). The wife-to-be wants the tv in the corner and I want the projector screen flat against the adjacent wall. With this arrangement I'll be able to use the same surrounds for both setups (though at a compromise for the tv setup). I was wondering if it would hurt the receivers if I had both of them hooked up to the same surround speaker. I don't plan on having both receivers on at the same time, but I wasn't sure if the unit that is powered down would be damaged by the voltage sent from the powered unit.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them. I plan on using the same IB sub and surrounds, but the center and mains wouldn't be positioned right for both setups. I have an extra receiver and some speakers sitting in the closet, so it's not like it'll cost me anything. I could just use the "B" setting of the existing receiver for the tv, but I'm afraid I won't be happy with stereo.

Thanks

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You could hook the speakers to both receivers, but if you ever turn both on at the same time say good bye to everything. So I strongly reccommend aganist it because at some point you will accediently forget to turn one off before turning the other on.

You safest bet is to get a speaker selecter box. It will work in reverse for your case.

3. Nick_S

Nick_S Auditioning

I've been thinking that I might as well just run off of "B" to keep things clean and safe...I wasn't totally sold on having 2 receivers anyway. I guess I could use a speaker selector and just select between 'projector speakers' and 'tv speakers' and just use the same receiver. Do the selectors degrade sound? I've never used one.