Hooking It All Up

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jimmy_zdc, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

Ok guys, I read this forum every so often when I need help concerning home theater. Now I'm getting close to setting up a home theater for my father-in-law. I have good knowlegde on setting up surround sound and theaters but I'm not really sure the way I want to tackle his project. Basically the room will be a multi-purpose room with 2 video displays (34" KD-34XBR960N and Runco VX-1000D). He wants to be able to have the ability to watch the Cable HDTV/DVR Box and the DVD player on either display. But he wants to have the ability to just turn on the TV and not have to worry about the audio setup if he is doing just casual TV watching. So the senarios would be this:

1. Causal TV watching (Cable Box/DVD/34" Sony) using no surround sound
    2. Theater Mode (Projector/DVD/Cable Box/Surround Sound)

I guess my main issue is how do I get the video signal to the multiple displays from multiple devices since he doesnt want to turn on the receiver everytime?

Here is a list of the other equipment:

Outlaw Audio 990/770 Preamp/Amp
    Adelphia Moxi HDTV/DVR Box (http://adelphiasocal.com/dvr/viewersguide/index.shtml)
    Not sure on the DVD player yet but it will have either DVI or HDMI which I can use adapters if need be.

Thanks guys I hope you can provide me with some solutions!

Jaime

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

You could get a Harmony remote instead. Press one button, and everything is properly routed. I'm asumming that the problem is:

3. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

I actually was going to pick up one of those harmony remotes. But I dont think thats going to solve the problem. I guess the problem is that he doesn't want to have to turn on the receiver every time he just wants to watch the regular TV.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

With a harmony (I have the 659) one just presses the "watch TV" button. Everything comes on automatically-- screen, hdtv tuner, receiver. When done, one presses the "Off" button, and everything switches off. Couldn't be easier.

In fact, you could probably program the Harmony to automatically switch inputs, etc. So one could set up an activity labeled "Casual TV", one labeled "TV with Reciever", and one labeled "Cinema" (for the projector).

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

The Harmony will get you past the control problem. I have mine set up just that way. When you hit the buttons for "Watch TV" or "Watch a Movie" it powers on the television and either the satellite box or dvd player and conforms all the correct inputs. The volume button controls the television. I also added activities for "Watch TV w/Surround" and "Watch dvd w/ surround." Hitting one of those will also turn on the AVR and adjust the inputs on there as well. The volume button will control the AVR.

Occasionally it's a bit of a nuisance when the kids watch tv without the avr because when I hit "watch tv w/surround" the tv volume is still up, but the volume button on the remote only controls the AVR. It's not a big deal, but you have to select the tv device button to lower the volume. Just some extra steps and after you get used to the efficiency of the harmony, it's seems like a big deal. I find that we do watch 95% with the avr on anyway.

I think you are in good shape in that you can configure two activities -- one with the avr on and the projector on, and a second with the tv on and the avr off. That part is easy.

The problem I can't help you with that you flagged was having the video signal go from both the cable box and the dvd to both the tv and the projector. The easiest thing would be to use the AVR's switching, but since your dad doesn't want it on all the time it's a little more difficult. (BTW, you could set up the "casual tv" activity to turn on the avr and adjust the inputs to switch the video signal, but still have the volume button control the tv. You would of course, have to make sure the AVR volume was muted or turned all the way down.)

I guess the way to do it would be to split the video signals. I haven't looked into splitting component or hdmi signals but maybe someone else can help you there. Once you have the signals split, the harmony will control it just fine.

6. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

Hmm...Maybe I could use one of these switchers to output to my multiple displays.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/EXT-HDMI-442.htm

Anyone heard about the Gefen stuff? Any good?
    Seems kinda neat because I can do the video switching without the receiver on and I will have a couple more digital video ports to work with. I wonder if the Harmony knows the IR codes for this box.

Anyone have any experience with this equipment?

Jaime

7. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

Wow I just did the test drive for the Harmony and YES! they have han option for Audio/Video Switcher and Gefen is listed. They even have that exact same model (4x2 HDMI). I can't begin to tell you how much I love this Harmony remote [​IMG]

So what do you guys think about using this outside switcher so I don't have to go through the amp?

Jaime

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Do remember to check if the cable box's DVI-D port actually works before shelling out the cash... The manual said that it was for future expansion....